Quadrafire thermocouple connections incorrect in manual?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KipL

Nov 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi, I had to remove the control board on our Mt Vernon AE insert to repair some bad connections. While removing the thermocouple cables, the plastic pin housings pulled off of the board. Now I am trying to put them back, but what the manual I have shows is exactly the opposite of what I'm seeing. There are two TC cables...one from the firepot and one from the drop tube. I have identified the firepot cable and marked it. The cables have slightly different plugs...the firepot plug has a locking tab on the side, while on the drop tube plug the locking tab is on the "face" of the plug (see photos). The pin housings which came off the board will only mate with their respective plug, i.e., they're not interchangeable.

The pin housings have tiny plastic alignment pins to line them up with respective holes in the board. The orientations of the holes are different, so each housing must go in a specific location. In the PCB photo, the lower connector only fits in the TC2 location. That lower connector only fits the plug for the firepot TC.

Here's the problem: the manual I have shows that the firepot TC is supposed to be connected at the TC1 spot. But the connector types are exactly the opposite.

Does anyone know which TC should be TC1 vs TC2?

Thanks.

TC Pins on Board.jpg Drop Tube TC Plug 01.jpg Firepot TC Plug 01.jpg

Last time I did one of those I had the same thing happen. What I had happen is that it didn't throw an error code, but it did kick the convection blower on wide open as soon as it started up. I imagine that I was really lucky that I didn't cook a board. I don't know if this will help any.

Well, this is embarrasing. I'm not sure how I managed to disorient myself, but the alignment holes are indeed correct.

In case anyone else runs into this issue, here is a correct (tested) connector orientation. I used hot glue to attach the connector bodies, by the way.

Cheers.

TC Connectors.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: rickwai