QuadraFire Vacuum SW error

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rsampson1120

Jan 20, 2019
Maine
I have a QuadraFire mt Vernon that I adopted with my new house. I've been using it for a month now with no issues. I am getting the Vacuum SW error, so I followed the manual and what I could rear on this forum, and jumping the switch allows the stove to run. It was shutting off as soon as it got up to temp. My question is how does this prove it is actually the switch and not a pressure issue.

I cleaned the hose, it did have some buildup but air was still able to travel through. I cleaned the stove pipe, which wasn't bad at all. Cleaned the pot, tray, and the shoot. I'm going to pick up a switch tomorrow but was just looking to understand what's happening.

Thanks for the help!

I have a QuadraFire mt Vernon that I adopted with my new house. I've been using it for a month now with no issues. I am getting the Vacuum SW error, so I followed the manual and what I could rear on this forum, and jumping the switch allows the stove to run. It was shutting off as soon as it got up to temp. My question is how does this prove it is actually the switch and not a pressure issue.

I cleaned the hose, it did have some buildup but air was still able to travel through. I cleaned the stove pipe, which wasn't bad at all. Cleaned the pot, tray, and the shoot. I'm going to pick up a switch tomorrow but was just looking to understand what's happening.

Thanks for the help!
Did you poke a wire through the opening going into the burn chamber to be sure that wasn’t plugged?

Did you poke a wire through the opening going into the burn chamber to be sure that wasn’t plugged?

Last night I took an air compressor to the hose (away from the sensor) and it ran all night no issues.

Originally, I had poked a toothpick in that hole, I assume it goes fartfar than an inch? But that didn't make a difference. Either way the air compressor seemed to have cleaned it out! Thanks for the input!

Did you make sure the nipple that the hose connects to on the drop chute was clear? Use a stiff pc. of wire that fits the hole. If vacuum is lost for whatever reason, you will get the error and it shuts the auger down. Whether it is a door gasket leak, plugged hose,nipple. exhaust, bad vac swit

Did you make sure the nipple that the hose connects to on the drop chute was clear? Use a stiff pc. of wire that fits the hole. If vacuum is lost for whatever reason, you will get the error and it shuts the auger down. Whether it is a door gasket leak, plugged hose,nipple. exhaust, bad vac swit

Sorry I wasn't clear. I popped the hose off, blew some air thru into the stove with my compressor, and it must have cleared it out. Runs great again. Appreciate the help!

I'm wondering if it's my pellets, I started running North Country and there is a ton of saw dust in the bags

No, you were clear. I had wrote this the other day, and forgot to send it. You had wanted to know what the vac switch dealt with. kap

Two weeks later problem started again. I ran a wire through the nipple on the shuttle, replaced the vacuum switch, cleaned the baffles and the two ports, cleaned the firepot, cleaned the exhaust blower and vacuumed passage behind it. I'm running out of possibilities. Any other ideas? Thanks again for the help, I thought I'd solved this.

what about the exhaust pipe? Try jumping the vac wires together and see if error goes away. kap

I assume you are saying you jumped it a ways back, and then you replaced it. I am saying try jumping again, kap

I assume you are saying you jumped it a ways back, and then you replaced it. I am saying try jumping again, kap
Ok I will, I'll be away for a couple days and will try it when I get home, thanks for the advice. How long is it "safe" to jump it and let it run?

Well(insert disclaimer clause here) , it is a safety feature, that shuts down auger feed if glass breaks, or vacuum is lost due to plugged exhaust. They can run forever, but not safe. I can't say how long you can run it, but I wouldn't at nite with no one kinda watching it. kap

Well(insert disclaimer clause here) , it is a safety feature, that shuts down auger feed if glass breaks, or vacuum is lost due to plugged exhaust. They can run forever, but not safe. I can't say how long you can run it, but I wouldn't at nite with no one kinda watching it. kap

Loud and clear! I'll let you know the results in a couple days. Thanks again!

Checking all wire harness connections for it wouldn't hurt either. kap

Glad something went right. Stay warm. kap

New year, same problem. I cleaned and cleaned, still shuts down.

How do I go about actually checking the stove is sealed, that it's not actually losing vacuum?!

New year, same problem. I cleaned and cleaned, still shuts down.

How do I go about actually checking the stove is sealed, that it's not actually losing vacuum?!

It's strange that when I clean it really good, sometimes it works after. That's why I'm thinking that it may be the gaskets or something because eventually after I tinker with it, it runs for a while.

Did you ever replace the vac switch? Did you pull the hose off and inspect for cracks in it, as I know you said you blew it out. As long as exhaust path is clear, meaning pipes and thru stove, esp the openings at bottom of baffle on both sides, only other thing is to check the door switch. May have bad wire connection or bad connection between sensors. Might have to adjust it some. Also door gasket is still sealing. Check wire connections on vac switch as well. kap

Did you ever replace the vac switch? Did you pull the hose off and inspect for cracks in it, as I know you said you blew it out. As long as exhaust path is clear, meaning pipes and thru stove, esp the openings at bottom of baffle on both sides, only other thing is to check the door switch. May have bad wire connection or bad connection between sensors. Might have to adjust it some. Also door gasket is still sealing. Check wire connections on vac switch as well. kap

I replaced the switch last year. I replaced the hose. I have a 1/2" hose on the end of my vacuum so I know the openings at the bottom of the baffle are clean. The wire connections are good.

Wouldn't the door switch show the door open and shut it off, not the vac switch?

I ordered new rope gaskets for both the door and the ash pan, besides a leak I don't know what is left!

Kap thanks for all the help!

What control board do you have, and what year stove is it? And do you know when during the stoves cycle, the error code comes on ? kap

Just replaced the two gaskets, hoping that was the issue.

According to the control box, the board is a 7000-456 REV C manufacture date 44/08.

Just replaced the two gaskets, hoping that was the issue.

According to the control box, the board is a 7000-456 REV C manufacture date 44/08.

Attachments

• IMG_20191126_203747300~2.jpg
    IMG_20191126_203747300~2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 145
Then it is not the control board. They had issues with the logistics on some older model boards, and would throw a vac switch error code.