Queen Anne stove South Africa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kologha

Apr 21, 2017
South Africa
Hi to everyone,
I am in the process of buying a Queen Anne stove. This is a small 2 plate cast iron stove made from the late 1800's to the mid 1900's in Britain and SA. I would like to know whether it is necessary to line it's firebox with firebricks (high temperature bricks for lining furnaces) or not. I suspect that if one were to use anthracite then it might be necessary, but as I intend to burn wood I wonder if the stove can cope without firebricks. Can anyone advise me?
Thanks

Can't give you any advice on that stove. Sure can welcome you to Hearth however! South Africa. Interesting. Add a few pics of the place. Some of us get a kick out of seeing pics from far away members!

Some old cast iron stoves did not have firebrick, it depends on the original design. Some had inner burn plates instead. Do you know the manufacturer of the stove and its model?

Falkirk Queen Anne.JPG Fire Bricks.jpg Fire Bricks2.jpg
I will try to upload a picture of the stove, as well as one which has firebricks in it. I grew up in a house on a farm without electricity and we had a wood burning stove (bigger than the Queen Anne in the picture) and I don't remember our stove having firebricks in it. I think that it might only need firebricks if a hot fuel such as anthracite is used. I doubt very much if a wood fire would reach a temperature of 1000 degrees C. I think that would be about 1850 deg F.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stove was made by Falkirk in the UK and was known as a Queen Anne. They are quite common in SA, Australia, The UK and might even be found in Canada.

I'd want at least a single layer of firebrick in the stove to protect the sides and back from hotspots and uneven heating.