Question about Circulation Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I have a Kerr Indoor wood boiler that is looped into a Kerr Oil furnace. All house zones are looped through the oil furnace. There is one pump that pumps water between the oil furnace and wood boiler, and another that pumps to the different zones in the house. I have an indirect hot water tank and restored cast iron rads throughout house.

My question is in regards to the temp of the wood boiler and the temp at which the pump (for the zones) turns on to heat the house. I have it all configured per manufacturer specs. The wood boiler damper opens and closes between 160 to 200.....On the oil furnace side, the pump for the zones turns on at 160.....So currently, when the cast iron rads call for heat, they get an initial blast of hot water, then it stops until the wood boiler can catch up, and then the get another blast of hot water etc, etc.

A neighbor was by the house and asked me why I didn't lower the start temperature of the circulating pump (and possibly wood boiler temp), so as to have warm water circulating all the time, as opposed to hot water blasts every so often........The rads would never be super hot, but simply warm giving us a more consistent warm heat. Would this be more efficient?

I hope that makes sense?

My parents are having the same issue with their install. Thankfully they at least had a bypass loop with ball valves installed. Ideally you want your wood boiler circulator to have a mixing valve installed so that the return water temp is never below 160f. Keeping the circulator running to lower temps will cause condensation on the inside of your boiler, and decrease its life. Efficiency drops off a ton too.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk