Question about Duravent cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mascoloj

Oct 29, 2008
Middletown, CT
I bought a new Harmen pellet stove last year and also had a new vent installed. I usually clean everything myself but this year I am lost at how to get into my Duravent vent. Usually I access it from the outside by taking off the grate at the end but on this vent there are no screws and no visible ways to remove it. At the bend in the pipe there is a little give to the connection between the straight pipe and the part that points downward. It seems like I could just pop the end off but I don't want to damage it if I'm wrong.

Can anyone advise me on how to proceed?

pelletstove_exitcone.jpg

Thanks - J

It should just twist off, try it by hand first…if that doesn’t work, I’ve used a filter strap, with a rubber strap

What I'd do (and have and did this year ) was I soaked the joint down with PBlaster and let it sit a day, then I wrapped the pipe with a towel and used a chain wrench (filter wrench) to loosen it, you only have to turn it 1/4 turn. Then I used a rubber mallet to to separate the rest of the way from the other pipe.

I like to coat my ends with never seize before I put them together. Makes taking them apart much easier. Patience persists when taking them apart.