Question about firebox replacement in OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spitfire557

Jan 29, 2019
PA
A neighbor of mine is looking to get rid of his Mahoning OWB (Model: Legacy 200) due to it developing a small leak. I'm not very familiar with these stoves, but the leaking water can be seen at the back of the ash clean out area. It's a small, but consistent leak. He's had the stove for about 15 years and decided to buy a new Mahoning stove instead of fixing it. He's offered to sell the old stove to me at a very cheap price, but I'm curious if there's a known solution to this leaking water issue. My neighbor said replacing the firebox would be the best solution, and I was wondering if this was viable or if there is a better option (i.e. - hiring a welder to come patch some new 1/4" steel over the leaks)?

I've been wanting an OWB for quite some time, and I figured this may be a cheap way to get my feet wet. I do plan on calling Mahoning tomorrow and running it by them, but would love to hear this board's input as well.

Don’t do it is my opinion.

Anything can be a 'thing'. But its way beyond what a typical boiler maintenance thing would be. More like a hail mary repair to try to extend boiler life, and it wasnt exactly designed as being replaceable when it was built. And it would be a big gamble since most of the time when there is one leak there are more lurking.

Owb firebox repairs are most often temporary. Usually if there is one leak present there are probably more not far behind. This is due to the acidity in creasote and ashes left in the firebox during summer months. 15 years is along time for a owb and the firebox metal can get thin, unable to weld.

I appreciate everybody's input here. I was really hoping a firebox replacement was a bit more common and would solve my problem. I'm still going to call Mahoning tomorrow and get their advice. My neighbor says that they routinely buy back old OWB and tear them down, refurbish them, and sell them as re-man's.

I appreciate everybody's input here. I was really hoping a firebox replacement was a bit more common and would solve my problem. I'm still going to call Mahoning tomorrow and get their advice. My neighbor says that they routinely buy back old OWB and tear them down, refurbish them, and sell them as re-man's.
That’s the first I ever heard of that but I’m also not an OWB kinda guy. They are something I wasn’t interested in.

If you neighbor thought fixing it was a smart thing to do he be hiring it done. If he gave it to you for scrap price and you could do all the rebuilding your self you would probably be alright but hiring the work done it won't work out. I would run away from this deal.

Reactions: sloeffle
Buy yourself a bat...
Hit yourself on the head till it hurts...
throw the bat away.
You will be further ahead then if you buy the OWB

You could refill toothpaste tubes but they are meant to be thrown away when done.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Its not that it cannot be done its just something that is not usually economical to do. if the manufacturer does it they may have jigs, fixtures and design changes for the rebuild that would not be apparent to someone who is going to be doing it for the first time. If they do it they need to be capable of representing that it is fit for further use. Inherently I don't see why they do not just do it once with thicker steel, a different alloy and better design but my guess its an economic decision that most folks will not run them that long and since the compete on price with other firms its a race to the bottom on what is the minimum quality that will do the job. Businesswise if they can rebuild a older unit at profit and resell it they get to make double the profit over one sale.

Well Mahoning told me today that for $50ish/hr (+ $3/mile to travel to and from your house) they will come out and fix the issue. Or, you can wait until the springtime and for $3,000ish they will do a full revamp of the stove at their factory. This includes a new firebox, top/bottom door, pumps, grates, and a few other things.

My neighbor wants $500 for the stove. I'm leaning towards walking away at this point.

I would also put little if any faith in any OWB warranty of any kind.
I might think of them as the same warranty coverage from roof shingle manufacturers.