Question about lignetic pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OU812

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2008
California
I have an envirofire ef2 that I was burning Blazer pellets in. With Blazer my auger speed was usually at about 75% to maintain a good fire. I put in a bag of pellets and now have my auger speed all the way on low and it is burning even hotter then the Blazer pellets at a higher setting. Anyone else have this experience with these pellets? I like them but think they burn a bit too hot for my needs.

Lignetics are the best pellets I have burned, and will be the main brand I will be searching for in the spring.

As for them burning "too hot", I don't think there is such a thing....you want the pellets to burn as hot as possible. If the house gets too hot, turn down the feed rate and save pellets while you stay just as warm.

I have a few bags of pres-to -logs that are made from lignetics two adresses are fromIdaho and west Virginia ae these the same?

I believe they are made by the same company. We used presto logs when we had a wood stove and they worked great. A pallet of them was about $150.00 and lasted all winter. On the lignetic pellets my feed rate was all the way down and the fire was still burning hot. I think I will primarily stick with Blaze pellets and then just use lignetics for the coldest nights.

OU812 said:
I believe they are made by the same company. We used presto logs when we had a wood stove and they worked great. A pallet of them was about $150.00 and lasted all winter. On the lignetic pellets my feed rate was all the way down and the fire was still burning hot. I think I will primarily stick with Blaze pellets and then just use lignetics for the coldest nights.

THese Pres-to-logs are actually pellets. I got them at Lowes back in september

THese Pres-to-logs are actually pellets. I got them at Lowes back in september[/quote]

I just emailed the company asking what the difference of the three types of pellets they show on thier web pages. They do have two plants.

I am a first-year pellet burner and got very lucky having picked up 2T of Lignetics (green label) pellets in late June. They burn very hot. Some ash and a few clinkers, but well worth that for the heat. If you go to Lignetcs' website, both addresses are shown ID & WV...must be their west/east coast facilities. Having nothing else to compare the Lignetics to, I am starting to buy bags of other brands. The first batch is Eureka. Not even close to the Lignetics. I am running my stove with the Eureka's on setting 5 (middle setting; never have yet to do with the Lignetics - way too hot) and am getting what 1 or 2 would give me with the Lignetics. Cross Eureka off my list. I emailed Lignetics yesterday for their distributors in my area but have yet to hear back from them. Will probably try some of the other recommended pellets from this forum.

LI Rainman said:
I am a first-year pellet burner and got very lucky having picked up 2T of Lignetics (green label) pellets in late June. They burn very hot. Some ash and a few clinkers, but well worth that for the heat. If you go to Lignetcs' website, both addresses are shown ID & WV...must be their west/east coast facilities. Having nothing else to compare the Lignetics to, I am starting to buy bags of other brands. The first batch is Eureka. Not even close to the Lignetics. I am running my stove with the Eureka's on setting 5 (middle setting; never have yet to do with the Lignetics - way too hot) and am getting what 1 or 2 would give me with the Lignetics. Cross Eureka off my list. I emailed Lignetics yesterday for their distributors in my area but have yet to hear back from them. Will probably try some of the other recommended pellets from this forum.

I haven't heard back from them yet. According to the Lignetics site they do have two plants which means the pellets have to be different. THey must take stocks from the local area's. I like the presto logs pellets and would like to purchase more. I got 20 bags from Lowes in sept and have seen several other brands at HD and Lowes.

macman said:
Lignetics are the best pellets I have burned, and will be the main brand I will be searching for in the spring.

As for them burning "too hot", I don't think there is such a thing....you want the pellets to burn as hot as possible. If the house gets too hot, turn down the feed rate and save pellets while you stay just as warm.

I'm with macman, there is no such thing as a pellet burning too hot. Bought 4 tons this summer based on excellent reviews. 1.5 tons into my stash and no complaints at all. I will also be looking for more Lignetics this spring.

Its a regional thing. I live in California and it rarely drops below 30 here in the winter. I like a constant low heat rather than a fiery inferno. Blazer pellets allow me to do a high to low range for heat. With the lignetics my stove is blasting even on the lowest auger feed rate.

macman said:

THIS IS A REPOST

I started my Pellet History 3 weeks this Monday. I have read everyday here for 3 weeks and have gotten some great advice. My problem has been not getting enough heat when Temp is below 20 .When temp is 25 and above My Fireside Ultras would keep room 71-72 but with high settings. My settings with temp Below 20 in room temp on my Accentra would be 80 and 5.5 feed just to maintain 69-70.Above 25 -30 I could set at 75 and 4.5 feed and room would be 72 or so. I have finaly found Lignetics I cleaned stove today poured a bag in and I was BLOWN AWAY at the HEAT !! THE OUTSIDE TEMP WAS 28 SO i SET STOVE TEMP TO 75, IN 3 HOURS IT WAS 74-75 IN MY ROOM MY FURTHEST ROOM SOME 38-40 FEET AWAY 71 My upstairs hall 71 my upstairs bedrooms 70. I though I bought a $5,000 dog when I was having all these problems getting good heat out of stove.So I turned temp down to 71-72 on stove about 3 this afternoon.The room right now with the outside air temp at 19 is 73 DEGREES ! I am blown away by these Lignetis pellets .I noticed these are a bit longer than others I have been using.I have tryed
Fireside Ultras , Big Heat I have a ton of Hammers I didnt try yet but I hear they are as good as Lignetics.
So for those who think Pellet brand ,style , type dont make a a difference I can Tell you for me in My Accentra insert I am sold and I am at last happy after 3 weeks of wondering if I made a big mistake. Keep in mind My house is 3,000 sft they tell me this stove isnt supposed to heat my whole house.Well I can say for right now it is.
I am more amazed that all pellets sell for the same price even though too many are just junk Until Us consumers start boycoting certain brands or demand different price levels this will continue . I would gladly pay 300 a ton for Lignetics but why am I forced to pay the same fore Fireside Ultras ,Energex, and other pellets that just are not as good as Lignetics and Hammer. Why do we settle for paying 300 a ton for Rocky Mt and Big Heat when we know we are buying a pellet that isnt worth that premium price. We all durring the season act so desperate to buy that are fear of running out takes over common sense.

investor7952 said:
macman said:

THIS IS A REPOST

I started my Pellet History 3 weeks this Monday. I have read everyday here for 3 weeks and have gotten some great advice. My problem has been not getting enough heat when Temp is below 20 .When temp is 25 and above My Fireside Ultras would keep room 71-72 but with high settings. My settings with temp Below 20 in room temp on my Accentra would be 80 and 5.5 feed just to maintain 69-70.Above 25 -30 I could set at 75 and 4.5 feed and room would be 72 or so. I have finaly found Lignetics I cleaned stove today poured a bag in and I was BLOWN AWAY at the HEAT !! THE OUTSIDE TEMP WAS 28 SO i SET STOVE TEMP TO 75, IN 3 HOURS IT WAS 74-75 IN MY ROOM MY FURTHEST ROOM SOME 38-40 FEET AWAY 71 My upstairs hall 71 my upstairs bedrooms 70. I though I bought a $5,000 dog when I was having all these problems getting good heat out of stove.So I turned temp down to 71-72 on stove about 3 this afternoon.The room right now with the outside air temp at 19 is 73 DEGREES ! I am blown away by these Lignetis pellets .I noticed these are a bit longer than others I have been using.I have tryed
Fireside Ultras , Big Heat I have a ton of Hammers I didnt try yet but I hear they are as good as Lignetics.
So for those who think Pellet brand ,style , type dont make a a difference I can Tell you for me in My Accentra insert I am sold and I am at last happy after 3 weeks of wondering if I made a big mistake. Keep in mind My house is 3,000 sft they tell me this stove isnt supposed to heat my whole house.Well I can say for right now it is.
I am more amazed that all pellets sell for the same price even though too many are just junk Until Us consumers start boycoting certain brands or demand different price levels this will continue . I would gladly pay 300 a ton for Lignetics but why am I forced to pay the same fore Fireside Ultras ,Energex, and other pellets that just are not as good as Lignetics and Hammer. Why do we settle for paying 300 a ton for Rocky Mt and Big Heat,fireside ultras when we know we are buying a pellet that isnt worth that premium price. We all durring the season act so desperate to buy that are fear of running out takes over common sense. Sometimes I wonder if just turning that oil burner on at these depressed oil prices wont be a better move until these Pellet Manufactures get the HINT !

Status
Not open for further replies.