Question about my hearth and where the stove will.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zelachowski

Jan 14, 2012
New England
I just finished building a new hearth 4' deep and 5' wide. The backing is thin veneer ledge stone with a 1" air gap behind it hearth2.jpg . My question is the Class A chimney is in place, but when I do the measurements my Woodstock Fireview is going to be 31/2" from the front. The manual says it should be 8". Can I get away with this or should I use 2-45 degree elbows to get the stove back another 41/2 " to total the 8". The pipe is double wall stainless and I'll meet the requirements for fire safety with the wall in back. I think I know the answer and that's get the two elbows, but I wanted to pass it by all of you smart folks with way more experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
All clearances need to be as stated in the owner's manual.

Only exception would be if local codes are even more stringent (then clearances be more).

Is the wall open at the bottom by at least an inch and also open at the top so that air can freely convect behind it? That is a requirement to pass as an NFPA211 wall shield.

An offset with a pair of 45s to bring it a bit forward is fine. My manual for the Fireview shows 12" as the minimum rear clearance, not 8".
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 11.45.17 AM.png

Is the wall open at the bottom by at least an inch and also open at the top so that air can freely convect behind it? That is a requirement to pass as an NFPA211 wall shield.

An offset with a pair of 45s to bring it a bit forward is fine. My manual for the Fireview shows 12" as the minimum rear clearance, not 8".
View attachment 188268
The back wall is 1/2 inch cement board on metal studs with a 1" gap at the base, covered with the stone veneer, I used thinset mortar. The stove will sit 12 inches from the plaster wall. The problem was how to get the 8 inches in the front. The stove would be 3-1/2 inches as is, with the offset the two 45 degree elbows would provide, it would bring that up to 8 inches in total. Am I missing anything?

The wall also needs to be open at the top to allow free airflow behind it.

If the offset gives you 8" in front and 12" from the plaster wall then you should be ok as long as the wall shield is ventilated.

The wall also needs to be open at the top to allow free airflow behind it.

If the offset gives you 8" in front and 12" from the plaster wall then you should be ok as long as the wall shield is ventilated.
The wall is open top and bottom, so it sounds like I'm OK. I'm actually amazed how much air is flowing, as you can feel cold air moving to the bottom

Sounds good. Airflow behind the wall will reverse as it warms up.

Status
Not open for further replies.