question about outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bffconsulting

Mar 5, 2015
nj, usa
We have an older Vermont castings resolute stove in our living room. We have a small house about 800 feet on each level. The stove is in the living room which is right where the front door is. At the back of the living room is the stairs to the second level. If you are facing the back of the house the stove is on the right hand exterior wall and there is a doorway into the back of the house on the left hand side of the room. Before going through that door to the back is the staircase to the second level.

The stove used to pull a ton of drafts into the front room and it was very chilly and hard for the room to stay warm. I put up a curtain coming from the back of the house and the room temp has increased drastically. It seems the stove is pulling cold air in from the back of the house which keeps the kitchen and the back of the house cold. I have been reading a little about outside air kits. The stove sits on the hearth outside a fireplace/chimney. There is a pipe in the fireplace that lets outside air in to that, but we have the fireplace blocked off with a piece of sheet metal. Is there a way we could get air to the stove so its not pulling from the back of the house. I think this would allow the back of the house to get a little warmer. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited:
I replaced my old VC Resolute this winter and I kick myself for waiting so long. As BG says, you can bring air close to the stove at the rear intake but that's all. If air is being pulled from the back of the house, that shows you must have leakage problems in the back and I would work on fixing it. It's the best 'bang for the buck' you can do to keep your house warm. Then, if you can budget for a new stove, spend the next few months researching what will provide better heat. All the new stoves are far more efficient and better for the environment too.

Why couldn't you make a metal box that connects to some metal flex and slap it on the back of the stove and not interfere with the air flap?

Status
Not open for further replies.