Question about pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

niteshiftfromkc

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2009
Belton, MO
Hello all,

I currently have a Englander freestanding wood stove that hooks into a clay tile chimney. The clay tile needs to be relined but I have been debating on whether it is more cost effective to sell my wood stove and go with the pellet stove. I have a few questions on the workings of the pellet stoves.

1. How many pounds of pellets would equate to 2 cords of wood? I was heating around 1800 square feet and burn through 1 1/2 to 2 cords depending on the winter, but haven't done it recently due to the issues with the flue.

2. Can I run the pellet into my existing chimney without having to reline it? If memory serves the clay tile is 6x6 and has a few cracks in it where the creosote started coming through the brick exterior.

3. If I need to run a vent flue through the chimney will I need to go 4"? The chimney is about 30' tall.

4. Can I run the outside air line through the chimney as well?

Thanks for the help

Hello

I have a 25' 8x8 block chimney with a clay liner. I put in a Selkirk Masonry conversion kit using a 4" diameter Stainless Steel.
This kit has a special chimney top that draws in warm dry fresh air around the hot liner and works super!
I also have the vacuum cleanout, so I can unscrew the cap under the cleanout T and suck out the ash with an ash vac!
Great system - See pics here > > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...asonary-or-metal-chimney.104406/#post-1378518

Reactions: Owen1508
Hello all,

I currently have a Englander freestanding wood stove that hooks into a clay tile chimney. The clay tile needs to be relined but I have been debating on whether it is more cost effective to sell my wood stove and go with the pellet stove. I have a few questions on the workings of the pellet stoves.

1. How many pounds of pellets would equate to 2 cords of wood? I was heating around 1800 square feet and burn through 1 1/2 to 2 cords depending on the winter, but haven't done it recently due to the issues with the flue.

2. Can I run the pellet into my existing chimney without having to reline it? If memory serves the clay tile is 6x6 and has a few cracks in it where the creosote started coming through the brick exterior.

3. If I need to run a vent flue through the chimney will I need to go 4"? The chimney is about 30' tall.

4. Can I run the outside air line through the chimney as well?

Thanks for the help

Here are my thoughts.

1. I would estimate that you would probably use in the neighborhood of 3 tons.

2. Yes, it sounds like you need a new liner.

3. You should be ok with a 4" vent pipe if you keep the number of bends to a minimum.

4. Yes, I believe you can.

If I'm wrong, people will chime in and correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.