Question about PelPro 130

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenora

Nov 20, 2007
Kenora, Ontario, Canada
I'll start by saying that I'm new to pellet stoves and the PP 130 is my first stove. Its a 2014 model (according to the previous owner).... while I'm very happy so far, having used it about 2 weeks. I'm in NW Ontario Canada where its still cold and snowy..as a matter of fact we got another 15cm of wet snow yesterday to add to the waist deep snow that's already on the ground, temperature now ranges between -10c and +1c :(

That said... the forecast for the next week indicates more -20c weather coming (aaaaaagh)...

I have been learning how to use the PP 130 and am generally happy with i. I have read the owners manual thoroughly and watched all the youtube videos I can find on the PP stoves.

Mine has the dial control, off, low (constant) , then a series of numbers that roughly correspond to room temperature and high (constant). When in room temp mode it should shut off when reaching the desired tewmp and relight after them temp drops..... there-in lies the problem....

It works properly in either low or high constant mode.... (the light is amber showing its in that mode) but when in room temp mode despite the green light signal (a series of green flashes 1 for low room temp rising to 5 flashes for high room temp) the stove runs FULL BLAST and never shuts down as its supposed to...

I've cleaned everything... its assembled properly and the room temp probe is on the wall near the stove (not inside the stove near the board where it was wire tied).

Anyone have some guidance for me?

Thanks
Tim

I would double check the connection at the stove for the probe to make sure it’s secure. If it’s similar to the probe on a Harman then they’re pretty cheap. May not be a bad idea to pick one up and try it. If it doesn’t fix the issue at least you’ll have a spare on hand. Post up some pics if you can

Reactions: kenora
I checked the connection and noted its a simple two wire device (and its clean and secure).... does that mean.....that I can hook up a remote thermostat to that spot?

I’m not very familiar with you’re stove but after looking up the probe($29) it seems your stove works on the same premise as a Harman stove with regards to the probe. With the Harman though you cannot just hook up a tstat direct to the stove in place of the room probe. Youre tstat would have to be wired in sequence with the probe. Not sure if that’s what you’d have to do or not. What does the manual say about a tstat

Reactions: kenora
Page 18 of you’re owners manual addresses the room probe and says an external tstat cannot be used

Reactions: xseabee and kenora
corkman....thanks for finding that for me...I sent a Q to the PelPro manufacturer and got this reply....

---Our Recommendation is as follows:

This unit has an internal thermostat. There is no other thermostat that can be added unfortunately.---

Now that gets me wondering if there is hack of some kind!! I mean there is some kind of temp control....just not enough.

Has no ever tried to figure a way around this...doesn't seem right that 65f is the lowest temp the stove (which is meant for workshops...that don't have to be heated to 65f or more all the time).....can be auto set to...

I'm going to conduct an experiment and mount the temp probe in a box (with an open bottom) on the ceiling above my stove...I'm hoping that the ceiling temp is higher that the lower wall...the box is going to be open on the bottom so warm air can get in (warm air rises).... maybe its a wasted effort but I'll report back when I know more.....

any other ideas?