Question about portable Hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uloset

Apr 15, 2015
Central Jersey
Hello, I'm newly signed up to Hearth.com but have been reading the forums for quite a while. I recently purchased a Vermont Castings Merrimack. My current hearth is around 17.5 inches long and raised over 2.5 inches (I don't know the exact measurement off hand about 3 standard bricks). I came into our local stove store thinking I had to stick with a flat face unit due to my hearth length, but was told all I need was a portable hearth pad to pass code for any protruding units. I went with the Merrimack (comes out about 8 inches) and had the store do the entire install, they are listed as the contractor for the permit and everything.

We'll come to inspection day and the inspector fails me stating the hearth pad has to be secured to the floor. His reasoning is that if I ever sell the house the new owners might just throw out the pad if they don't like it and that will be a fire hazard. Now obviously I'm annoyed as I think the inspectors reasoning is bit iffy and also with the store I used for telling me all I needed was a portable pad. I really don't feel like adding a permanent hearth extension into the room. Just looking for some ideas on the entire situation. Thanks for any help you can lend.

a couple screws, or silicone to hold it in place should satisfy your inspector, and be fairly easy to remove
(not that i'm advising you to operate the unit with out the proper front floor protection!)

a couple screws, or silicone to hold it in place should satisfy your inspector, and be fairly easy to remove
(not that i'm advising you to operate the unit with out the proper front floor protection!)

Oh don't worry my plan was never to operate it with out the pad. It is just that I'd like it out of the way when to stove is not in use, especially for long periods of time like the off season.

2 screws and the inspector should be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.