Question about running electrical heating unit in home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Petar

Nov 11, 2019
Zagreb, Croatia
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it could be possible to run the following unit in my family's small, rural home:

TROTEC TDS 75 Electric Heater (Max. Heat Output: 15 kW)

The unit is rated:

Power consumption: 21.7 A
Input Voltage: 400 V/50 Hz

And the only thing that I currently know about the electrical in our home is that it is 220V.

Might it be possible to install a "step-up transformer" or "inverter" (maybe on another panel) that could allow us to run this thing?

What other pertinent information may I need to find out exactly regarding the electrical in our home?

That thing will melt the paint off the walls. Why would you want to do that? ::-)

I don't know what the typical house electric service is in Croatia, but a good place to start is to look in the Main Electric panel and note the amp rating of the Main Breakers. Then visit your local electrical supply store and pick the brain of the "experts" there.

A "small rural home" may have very limited panel capacity.

Given that this heater has a 5 pin plug and doing the math on 400V and 21.7a producing 15kw it requires a 3 phase power connection. Very few places that I'm aware of have 3 phase power in the home, never mind 400 volts.

You'd have to look at your electrical panel to see if you had the right connection, my guess is not, every rural power grid around here is single phase.

Additionally this is a construction type heater, and isn't designed for heating a home.

Reactions: AlbergSteve