Question about stovepipe screws and thermal expansion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
My DuraPlus double wall stovepipe length from flue exit to chimney support box is 6' 2". I've got it all screwed down. 3 Screws secured at the flue. 3 Screws secured in the middle. 3 Screws secured at the support box. The pipe is perfectly vertically level.

I know there's some differing opinions on whether to leave the middle screws in or not to allow for thermal expansion. With a ~6' stovepipe should I leave the middle screws in or take them out so the pipe can telescope in and out as the metal heats and cools?

I usually leave them out but lots say to put them in i doubt it will be a problem either way. I have seen screw holes get wallowed out on single wall in this configuration but not on double wall

If the instructions say to do it then do it

Thanks! I'll leave them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.