Question about Thelin Thompson Gnome older wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
I have been keeping an eye out for another stove to rebuild but while snooping around I found this Thelin Thompson Gnome Stove. I am not going to buy it but was wondering what the big U shaped cast iron thing is inside the stove? These pictures came from Craigslist so hope it OK to attach them. And I hope I posted this in the right location on this forum. Thanks

Thelin Thompson Nome Inside.jpg Thelin top view .jpg

Well I was hoping that someone understood how this stove works. Here is a picture of the whole stove which might help jog someone's memory. I am always interested in how things work on these older wood stoves. I have even emailed the company to see if anyone there knows how this stove works. But so far no reply.

Attachments

• Thelin Thompson Nome Stove .jpg
    Thelin Thompson Nome Stove .jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,062
Hi I finally got a reply from the company about this stove. I sent them pictures same as on this site. He stated that this was a very old model and the item I was referring to is called a "heat exchange tube" but offered no further information. I have emailed them twice since and will update this when I find out. Perhaps some of you stove people understand what a heat exchange tube does? But if not I will wait.

Is there an opening underneath it or on the outside of it that a convective blower could attach to?

Hi begreen, this is a good question. I wished I could have seen this stove in real life as I would have like to see how it was built and operates. But as you point out a heat exchange usually has a blower fan.

Well, I, too, recently acquired a similar Gnome stove, circa 1983. The stove is in great shape, and I have polished up the chrome parts and replaced some bolts holding on the glass panels on the front door.

When I moved to my current location in 1981, I listed after one of the larger stoves that Thelin made at the time.
However, wifey prevailed, and we got a large masonry round stove made by a lady named Renaja Soleil.

It has been an excellent stove. But has deteriorated, with cracks in the casing: and it is no longer airtight.

Thus I went looking for a stove after which I used to pine, only to get a reflection that they ain't the stoves they used to be. , I was happy to find this early Gnome wood burning stove, (not a pellet stove,.) Only 150 miles away.

The stove is arranged in such a way as to allow a water coupling to be attached to the back so that it can be a source of hot water for both the radiating Mass that develops, or simply for domestic hot water. I believe the two parallel 3-in (approximately ) vertical cylinders towards the rear of the unit are the heating Chambers for the hot water, which can thermosiphon out of the unit by virtue of the two pipe nipple extensions on the back of the stove.
, Into a remote storage tank.

My stove has a damper mounted on the bottom, which can be manually or electric electrically operated if hooked up to a remote thermostat.

All of this verbiage precedes the question relating to why I've signed up here:

"Does this early 1983 Thelin Thompson Gnome wood burning stove require fire brick to be placed in the bottom and surrounds"?

Does anyone have an owner's manual for this model or similar stove?

Thank you for any response you may have and thank you for the internet which allows such transactions to occur.

Peace, out!
I

DavidO, is seems that this is not a common stove and from reading this thread you can see that most are not familiar with it, Or some who are have not seen this post. I searched the internet diligently and could not find much info on these older stoves. You can still contact the company and they might be able to help you out. They helped me the best the could with my questions.

I am not sure what you are referring to about the fire brick but my guess would be they put it there for a reason. Just like with most stoves the fire brick is to protect the metal from over heating and cracking and warping.

DavidO, is seems that this is not a common stove and from reading this thread you can see that most are not familiar with it, Or some who are have not seen this post. I searched the internet diligently and could not find much info on these older stoves. You can still contact the company and they might be able to help you out. They helped me the best the could with my questions.

I am not sure what you are referring to about the fire brick but my guess would be they put it there for a reason. Just like with most stoves the fire brick is to protect the metal from over heating and cracking and warping.
I've not found the Thelin Company to be responsive, so I'll say what I think may be the answer.

In your opening post, the first picture shows what appears to be an accumulation of ash around the base of the "U" shaped tube (which provides pre-warmed air to the TOP of the burning wood..), which my stove also had developed. In cleaning it out, I soon realized that it wasn't "ash", but concrete or ceramic cement with aggregate.

I surmise that the whole bottom may have been covered to that thickness of ceramic cement, supplanting the usual firebrick, (which then fractured over time and was removed..)
or, (more likely I'm thinkin') was used merely to stabilize the air duct against
the frequent battering of wood being added to the firebox.

Whatever the answer is, until it is nailed down, I will use the red lava rock in a thick layer before laying in a fire.

Regards,
D

David O, Thanks for sharing this information with me. Your surmising may be correct as the hot coals from the wood should not sit right on the metal on the bottom of the wood stove. I like the looks of these stoves. Hope it servers you well.

Hey blazing hot, have you any new experiences with your stove? I have hooked mine up, and I'm using the lava rock in the bottom as insulation until I attain , buy, steal or otherwise acquire a user's manual. Seems to work very well, although the interface with the thermostat is not understood.

Now, if I just had some dry wood!

Peace,
Out...

Hi David O, I don't own this stove. I was posting it because I was curious how it works. Did you ever get more information on the stove and how it is working for you? Hope you can find some dry wood to test out your stove. I have a Country Striker set up in my home. But am thinking about other options for next year.

I've not found the Thelin Company to be responsive, so I'll say what I think may be the answer.

In your opening post, the first picture shows what appears to be an accumulation of ash around the base of the "U" shaped tube (which provides pre-warmed air to the TOP of the burning wood..), which my stove also had developed. In cleaning it out, I soon realized that it wasn't "ash", but concrete or ceramic cement with aggregate.

I surmise that the whole bottom may have been covered to that thickness of ceramic cement, supplanting the usual firebrick, (which then fractured over time and was removed..)
or, (more likely I'm thinkin') was used merely to stabilize the air duct against
the frequent battering of wood being added to the firebox.

Whatever the answer is, until it is nailed down, I will use the red lava rock in a thick layer before laying in a fire.

Regards,
D
Hi David,

This Thelin-Thompson "Gnome" model came in two sizes; ours is the larger. It's been our main source of home heat for 40 years. Our home in the Sierra Foothills is two-story, 2600 sq ft. The stove is downstairs, and convection takes heat upstairs.

There were questions about firebrick - ours never had fire brick. Tapping on the floor of the firebox makes a sound that suggests it is simply heavy gage steel; we've had no burnout in 40 years.
Lava rock will make cleaning the ash out a little more difficult.

I found that wood wouldn't burn completely if the fire was damped down. Coals would fall off the logs and get buried in the ash, and go out. Much of the ash I removed had unburnt coals. I made the grate you see below, so that when coals/embers fall off, they have space below the grate to continue to burn. Now the residual is completely ash.

The damper at the bottom was intended to connect to an outside air duct; that's why it's a tube. I tried it with a thermostat, but once it close, it never reopened, until the fire was out. I found a way to damp further, with a plastic lid (with half-inch hole) that I place over the air tube. It strangles the fire so that I can get an 8-hour burn. Air flow keeps the lightweight cover in place until the fire burns way down.

We think it's a beautiful stove, as do our visitors. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Ron

IMG_4751.jpg IMG_4752.jpg IMG_4753.jpg

Ron very nice for you to post these pictures. That is one cool looking stove it reminds me of the old parlors stoves with a face lift. I also like the tile and the hearth very nice set up.

How does that big chamber work inside the stove?

Thanks

Hey blazing hot, have you any new experiences with your stove? I have hooked mine up, and I'm using the lava rock in the bottom as insulation until I attain , buy, steal or otherwise acquire a user's manual. Seems to work very well, although the interface with the thermostat is not understood.

Now, if I just had some dry wood!

Peace,
Out...
David,

As I understood it, the thermostat would be used as a conventional 'stat: it would keep the damper open (more combustion air) until the house got warm, then the damper would close (less combustion air) when the set point was reached.
When the house cooled down, the 'stat would open the damper, allowing the fire to burn more actively.
Ours never opened after the house warmed enough to close the 'stat. Perhaps our house was so well-insulated that it took too long to cool down and activate the 'stat. In a house with less insulation, it might be a viable temp control.

Ron

David,

Thanks for your comments. The river rocks came from Mammoth Bar 40 years ago, before the park service banned taking of the rocks.

"...big chamber work inside the stove?" Are you referring to the 4-inch U-tube on the right side?
I've not heard any verifiable comments on the function of the tube in the stove. It's the source of combustion air; physics would suggest that it pre-heats the air, making for a better burn.
Ron
Ron very nice for you to post these pictures. That is one cool looking stove it reminds me of the old parlors stoves with a face lift. I also like the tile and the hearth very nice set up.

How does that big chamber work inside the stove?

Thanks
par

Is there an opening underneath it or on the outside of it that a convective blower could attach to?
begreen,

I'm new here, so I missed you question....
I have this stove, 40 years now, and still in use.

There's no provision for a blower. That tube is for combustion air.

On the underside of the stove, right side, there's a 4-inch diam air intake. It was designed to allow outside combustion air, and minimise use of the warm air in the room. We built our home (40 years ago) and had an air tube in the slab that went to a vent outside.

That air intake goes straight up for 15 inches or so, then makes a U-turn and comes down 8-inches or so.

Ron

You are new I am not David or begreen but I am sure they would like to know about this stove as well. But I do appreciate you taking the time to talk about your neat looking stove. Thanks for explaining what that U-turn pipe is as it sounds like preheated primary air. I laid some tile like yours some years back and it is very hard to install as they are not uniform in size or thickness.

You are new I am not David or begreen but I am sure they would like to know about this stove as well. But I do appreciate you taking the time to talk about your neat looking stove. Thanks for explaining what that U-turn pipe is as it sounds like preheated primary air. I laid some tile like yours some years back and it is very hard to install as they are not uniform in size or thickness.
Blazzinghot,

Yes, "preheated primary air" is the prefect term for the U-tube.

I know what you mean; our tiles are more irregular than most, as they were made in Mexico. I had to put shims under the feet of the stove to get it stable.

Ron

Hi guys,

New here. But I just acquired a Thelin Thompson Gnome Stove as well, and was trying to find out some more info on it. I noticed some of you mentioned the year of your stove. How did you find that out? I can’t find any info on mine.

Has anyone found an owners manual yet?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
C3C03FF1-1A64-4D37-94EA-13AE38BBAF49.jpeg

Is there a UL lab plate on the back? Maybe try contacting Thelin customer support?
I didn’t see any plate on the back unfortunately. And I tried reaching out to Thelin with no response so far. That’s why I thought I’d try this thread. I’ll see if I can find a different email address for Thelin.

Thank you

I too have discovered this lovely Thelin Thompson Co nome woodstove. It was not assembled when I got it so I have a couple questions if anyone can help. First of all would be replacement parts. I can't seem to get a response from the Company. And second, I highly doubt the top just sits on there. Can anyone tell me how it should attach? Possibly showe a photo of the inner part of the top so I understand...?

Thanks in advance

20231115_124530.jpg 20231115_124508.jpg

Hi guys,

New here. But I just acquired a Thelin Thompson Gnome Stove as well, and was trying to find out some more info on it. I noticed some of you mentioned the year of your stove. How did you find that out? I can’t find any info on mine.

Has anyone found an owners manual yet?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
View attachment 311770
You have a T-1000 or a T-2000. Made in the 80s. we bought ours in 1989.

I have been keeping an eye out for another stove to rebuild but while snooping around I found this Thelin Thompson Gnome Stove. I am not going to buy it but was wondering what the big U shaped cast iron thing is inside the stove? These pictures came from Craigslist so hope it OK to attach them. And I hope I posted this in the right location on this forum. Thanks

View attachment 279495 View attachment 279496

The Thelin Thompson Wood stove was created by my friend of 40 yearsTerry Thompson. His business partner Jay Thelin bought Terry out a long time ago and after many years sold the business. Jay recently passed and had a nice obituary describing his colorful life in the San Francisco chronicle. I currently have aT2000 with brass gnome legs and lid and door. I used to have one before my divorce that had plumbing to circulate water into a heat exchanger in the firebox, and a computer that controlled if the water circulated through a solar panel or the stove depending on which one was making more heat, and then stored the water in a large tank for my home's hot water needs. The U shaped tube is what makes the stove burn so efficiently and light so easily. It heats up and creates a strong convection air flow from the colder air inlet under the stove where the flap is. I use my flap manually but have the thermostat to control it automatically. Mine has a concrete floor poured into the bottom of the firebox to protect it from overheating. I used to get my previous stove cherry red but don't do that any more as I think it reduces longevity. If you have more questions or issues I can ask Thompson if he has any contacts for old parts or rebuilds. Hope this helped.