Question about VC temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WhatDayJob

Dec 14, 2021
Colorado
I've got an old 1986-ish Defiant Encore. I haven't bought a temp probe yet, so I'm running it based on the griddle temp alone, but I'd like to learn more about how the stove operates, specifically....how do the various temps relate to each other?
For example, if my griddle temp is 600° F, what is the approximate temp in the catalyst? In the flue? Is there a good rule of thumb for this, or is it a non-linear answer?
Thanks.

Might be worth having a look at the VC owners thread on the Hearth room forum. Lots of discussion there, some good info. Also read through owner's manual at least to begin. They list temp parameters based on griddle temp.

Might be worth having a look at the VC owners thread on the Hearth room forum. Lots of discussion there, some good info. Also read through owner's manual at least to begin. They list temp parameters based on griddle temp.
Yeah, I started with the owner's manual, but it focuses on operating temps for the griddle and how they affect the catalyst, not so much the difference between temps.