Question about vent on antique coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBerner

Jun 10, 2018
Arkansas
I just installed an antique Bonny Oak 215 stove. It is apparently a coal stove, but I’m burning wood in it and although it gets very hot (the sides got over 625 degrees) it seems to be working fine.

My question is this: on thetop of the stove just below the chimney there is a smell vent hat can be opened and closed. What is this vent called, and when should I have it open or shut?

Thank you!

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's for coal use, but it could also be an opening for air above the fire for a rudimentary secondary combustion. Usually coal stoves, especially antiques like these, also have a barometric damper that let's room air into the flue under certain draft conditions, so maybe your vent is also for that purpose.

Either way, nice looking stove! I really wanted an Oak style stove, especially a Glenwood Modern Oak with isenglas door. Let us know what your wood consumption is like, as that's a big part of why we didn't go with one.

Also, be careful opening the ash pan door while burning wood. Under fire air can quickly cause an overfire. I also think these have a tin skin with a cast iron burn chamber. These tin work skins can be easily damaged by overheating them. It's very difficult and expensive to replace them.

Reactions: TWoods
It is to help burn off coal gas and prevent explosion. I see some potential clearance issues there. You need 18" of hearth protection all around it. How is that metal attached to the wall beside the stove and how far is it?

It’s 1” from the wall and is using ceramic offsets specifically made for the purpose. Even when the stove was very hot the shield remained almost cool to the touch.

Also, be careful opening the ash pan door while burning wood. Under fire air can quickly cause an overfire. I also think these have a tin skin with a cast iron burn chamber. These tin work skins can be easily damaged by overheating them. It's very difficult and expensive to replace them.

How would I know if I have overheated the skin?

It’s 1” from the wall and is using ceramic offsets specifically made for the purpose. Even when the stove was very hot the shield remained almost cool to the touch.
Ok good so as long as you have the 1" gap top and bottom it is a proper heat shield. How far is the stove from the wall behind that shield?

How would I know if I have overheated the skin?

It will buckle and warp, it's pretty thin stuff. This is the warning given to me by a restoration shop while I was looking into the feasibility of using one to heat my house.

It will buckle and warp, it's pretty thin stuff. This is the warning given to me by a restoration shop while I was looking into the feasibility of using one to heat my house.
You made a good choice

Reactions: SpaceBus
I believe the small opening you're referring to is the chimney dilution air intake. (damper) It is used to reduce draft by allowing indoor air up chimney such as a barometric damper cools chimney to slow draft. It extends burn time for overnight by slowing draft. Compared to a manual pipe damper, OPEN is a closed damper, CLOSED is an open damper. Decreasing draft decreases air coming up through grate to give a slower burn. Some cook stoves will have a chimney intake to preserve the fire overnight. I have tilted a lid overnight to allow indoor air into chimney without going through coal bed to sustain the fire overnight and run the stove cooler.
With coal, the primary inlet at bottom below grate controls burn, only crack the upper intake with coal for oxygen to get to the top of fire to ignite coal gas. (oxygen is used up through fire bed to supply air for blue flames above coal)Too much secondary air slips up chimney cooling it, reducing draft and taking away the primary air from the bottom. Only open dilution air when a smaller fire is needed or for longer duration overnight.
Wood use can use bottom to start only, then use upper secondary as the primary intake for burn rate. Close dilution with wood. (wood will use any air it can get, bottom, middle or top) Also opening with wood can ignite smoke particles creating a secondary burn in pipe, glowing right there! Scared me until I figured out to never open it with wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: TWoods and begreen
You'll find burning coal is a much more even heat, constant temperature, and the stack only runs around 100* making it much more efficient. Fill it with coal once a day and it just keeps going without the mess of wood. The ash is finer, so you have to learn to shake it down with a draft going or the dust is in the house. Very fine dust is the only con I've found with coal. You have to know how to do it. If you have to, light paper in the stove in the morning to induce draft before shaking. It is so fine you can't see it while you're causing the mess.

Reactions: TWoods
Thanks for all the help. I’m a little confused about the damper (you said closed is open, but then said you run with it closed, do you mean open?), but the rest is great advice.
I got the stove for $100. My thought is that if I works, great, if not I swap it out with another stove and I haven’t really lost much but time.

I love on two acres of dense forest, so heating with wood makes more sense right now. I priced coal locally, and it seems like I wouldn’t save much money over heating with electric.

Run it physically closed to prevent oxygen from mixing with wood smoke. If the draft is too strong, (air leaks into stove with air inlet closed, burning too fast) you would need a pipe damper to slow draft.
Compared to a manual pipe damper, when the opening is open, it is like a closed damper in the pipe. Opening the inlet is like closing a pipe damper. It allows indoor air to rush into the chimney (low pressure area caused by rising gasses) cooling the flue, slowing the draft. A manual pipe damper is a variable resistance that slows velocity of rising gasses, reducing draft. Your air inlet cools chimney, reducing draft. This gives the same results as a manual damper without being able to close the pipe off completely. Burning coal could allow CO into the home if a manual damper was used incorrectly. So this is like a limited damper that prevents closing off too far.

Allow me to vent about the vents: too many vents!

I’m new to this wood stove thing, and I’m sure I shouldn’t have started with an antique, but I’m poor right now so I have to make do with what I have.:)

I’ve found if I leave the bottom vent closed and only open the door vent that the fire eventually completely goes out. I suspect it’s because my wood isn’t properly seasoned (it came from various sources). I’ll keep playing with it until I find the magic combination that lets me get a fire to generate heat for as long as possible.

I can’t find any sort of operating information for this stove—the closest I could find was a Round Oak, which I’m guessing is probably similar. I guess my biggest question is about how much wood I can safely put in it, but I suppose there may be too many variables to get a simple answer.

I appreciate the help. You guys are on the ball around here!

You will figure out how much wood you need per load as you get better at using the stove. If your wood is not seasoned then under fire air is probably all that will get it to burn in a stove. Ideally you want the least air possible while still having flames in the firebox.

Allow me to vent about the vents: too many vents!

I’m new to this wood stove thing, and I’m sure I shouldn’t have started with an antique, but I’m poor right now so I have to make do with what I have.:)

I’ve found if I leave the bottom vent closed and only open the door vent that the fire eventually completely goes out. I suspect it’s because my wood isn’t properly seasoned (it came from various sources). I’ll keep playing with it until I find the magic combination that lets me get a fire to generate heat for as long as possible.

I can’t find any sort of operating information for this stove—the closest I could find was a Round Oak, which I’m guessing is probably similar. I guess my biggest question is about how much wood I can safely put in it, but I suppose there may be too many variables to get a simple answer.

I appreciate the help. You guys are on the ball around here!
If there were direction it would tell you to use coal because it is designed to work with coal. It was never mehant for sood and using sood will be frustrating

Reactions: SpaceBus
If there were direction it would tell you to use coal because it is designed to work with coal. It was never mehant for sood and using sood will be frustrating
I second that !

Do you hear any sizzle from the wood? Notice and liquid boiling out the ends? Are the ends of logs solid, or cracked like wagon wheel spokes? These are signs of unseasoned wood. The cracks in ends are not a good indication, that shows shrinkage which is an indication of at least some drying. You really need a moisture meter to make sure it is under 20% or you're going to have problems.

Wood will burn very fast, you will have temp spikes, fast hot / cold cycles, and waste lots up the chimney. Hard on the stove and hard on you.

The only wood you should put in it is very small kindling, then sprinkle Anthracite Chestnut size over the top. As it catches, you cover the fire completely with coal to the top of the burn pot. Maintain blue flame on top of the coal bed. Shake down twice a day, remove ashes once a day, and top off with coal daily. It will go until you let it go out in the spring.
Once you do that, you will never go back to wood in it for sure.

Do you have electric resistance type baseboard? If so, coal is much cheaper. Figure $400 - $480 around here for coal for an entire season compared to the total electric bills all winter. Could not heat for 2 months with electric for that around here!

This time I added too much wood and it must have been properly seasoned. Once it caught, I closed every vent on the stove and the temperature still went to over 625°.
76FD30F1-32FF-42E0-83DD-29A8D712D160.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
625 is not a bad temp for a cast iron stove. but keep this in mind if you are burning wood that is not seasoned enough and you open the vent to slow the burn down the combo of fresh air in the pipe and chimney with the unseasoned wood will build creosote really fast and then you'll have a chimney fire.

625 is not a bad temp for a cast iron stove. but keep this in mind if you are burning wood that is not seasoned enough and you open the vent to slow the burn down the combo of fresh air in the pipe and chimney with the unseasoned wood will build creosote really fast and then you'll have a chimney fire.
His stove isn't cast iron.
It's a sheet metal barrel type stove with cast iron burn pot for coal.

I'm sure it isn't "air tight" if it didn't go out by closing down all air, so obviously it needs a stove pipe damper to slow the draft to be able to regulate a leaky stove.

To the original poster, a pipe damper slows velocity of rising gasses in the chimney. This decreases draft.
Draft is a measurement of rising gasses in the chimney flue which creates a low pressure area in chimney, pipe and stove. This allows atmospheric air pressure to PUSH air with oxygen into the stove. Reduce the draft, and you reduce the amount of air leaking into the stove. The chimney is not just to let smoke out. It is the engine that drives the stove and makes it work.
As I told you above, opening the dilution air damper inlet slows the draft for coal, but wood will use air from anywhere it can get it, so you need a manual damper in pipe to slow draft with wood. Try a bag of coal and your problems will be over.

The incoming air under grate cools the grate as well, which is the part that wears out on your stove. Never leave ash build up to the point of blocking the air holes through grates! That is the #1 mistake which ruins coal stoves.

Last edited:
625º through the thin skin of the stove does not seem unusually high.

Everyone keeps recommending I burn coal, and I’m willing to try that as an experiment, but here’s the problem: I can’t find anywhere to buy coal here. I live in Fayetteville, AR. A search for “coal for sale” shows me two options: Tractor Supply, which sells a 40 lb bag of nut coal for $10 (including tax), or coalforsaleonline.com, which sells a ton for $1,200. Those are my only options.

From what I’ve read, people are saying they go through about 50 lbs a day. Let’s assume I use 40 lbs because my house is small. That’s $300 a month, which is more than my highest cost for electric heat. Plus the cost and hassle of driving to the store, buying it, bringing it home in my car, etc.

Maybe I need a modern stove. But I don’t have one, and I can’t afford one right now, so its more helpful to discuss whether I can do anything to improve my wood burning experience.

Not trying to be grouchy, just trying to explain my situation. I really appreciate all of the help and information.

The stove looks to be in decent condition. With the nickel polished up it should sell for around $500 to the right person. That would put you very close to the cost of a modern stove like an Englander 13NC or Century S244..