Question about wall protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokin' Hot Mama

Dec 27, 2018
Little Washington, VA
Hello! I am new to this group and I thank you for letting me be a part of it. We are installing a Dutchwest 2462 in our new home. It is new construction and we have a plywood floor and wall behind where stove is going. I wanted to run a few ideas by you all and see if you have any advise for me. We would like to build a hearth out of wood 2x4's, Durock (not with vermiculite) and possibly using soap stone for the top. We will vent for air circulation. Considering options for the wall protection. We have left over Allura Fiber Cement siding from when we sided the exterior. I checked the website and they state that all Allura Fiber Cement products have a Class A rating and are considered non combustible in accordance with ASTM E136. I was thinking of using the siding on top of Durock, with the 1 inch gap for air circulation, and putting the siding on top like shiplap. It would need to be painted, so I was wondering if I used fire retardant paint, would that be ok?

Do you have your heart set on that stove for some reason? It’s got pretty big clearance requirements as you know. There’s a lot of pretty stoves out there that are easy to fit into modern construction with all the protected surfaces.

The plan sounds ok if a high-temp paint is use. Make sure the bottom heat shield is attached to the stove. This stove gets hot in the rear. As webby mentioned, there are other options if buying new.

Thanks for your reply and input. We already have the stove with the manual which states it requires an 18" clearance in the back. We really like the stove because it is a large room and loved the appearance and side loading door with the glass front.
Do you have your heart set on that stove for some reason? It’s got pretty big clearance requirements as you know. There’s a lot of pretty stoves out there that are easy to fit into modern construction with all the protected surfaces.

The plan sounds ok if a high-temp paint is use. Make sure the bottom heat shield is attached to the stove. This stove gets hot in the rear. As webby mentioned, there are other options if buying new.
Thanks for your reply too! We bought the stove off of Craiglist, its barely been used since it was originally purchased in 1995 (Maybe 10 times). It does not have a bottom heat shield, nor a back one. Is this something we should get even with the 18" clearance?

Thanks for your reply too! We bought the stove off of Craiglist, its barely been used since it was originally purchased in 1995 (Maybe 10 times). It does not have a bottom heat shield, nor a back one. Is this something we should get even with the 18" clearance?
I’m pretty sure to get the 18” clearance you need the heat shield, most definitely need the bottom heat shield unless it’s solid masonry.

Bottom heat shield is absolutely necessary for the installation as described.

Reactions: MAD MARK
Kindly put, you have a stove.
You need to search options as there are better, tighter clearanced stoves out there.

Reactions: blacktail
I’m pretty sure to get the 18” clearance you need the heat shield, most definitely need the bottom heat shield unless it’s solid masonry.
Here is the owner's manual that says, no heat shield, 18" in rear with a protected surface and a clearance of 12" with the heat shield and a protected surface. To be on the safe side, we will get and install the heat shields~ thanks for the heads up about them.

Attachments

• Question about wall protection
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 7.32.05 AM.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 92
Good deal. The only place you would not have the bottom heat shield is in something like a fireplace or on a cement slab.