Question about WETT clearance - top facing, mantel or trim?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mojoliveshere

Sep 16, 2022
Victoria BC
Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance on determining clearance from the top of an insert. The insert is a PE Pacific D insert, and the manual stipulates 24 in of clearance to the mantel or 'top facing' from the top of the stove. I'm unable to find what top facing means in this context, though I do know that there will be painted wood or MDF trim at 20in from the stovetop. I've attached an image for reference ( the hearth and fireplace are tile over brick).

Does trim count as top facing? If so, does anyone know if adding a mantle shield under the trim would help reduce the clearance limits? I cannot find any WETT specific info on this. I've read somewhere about trim up to 1in but am not sure if this applies here

Many thanks!

m

PXL_20221005_033157691.MP.jpg