Question for Garn owners about quoted Btu storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
First just let me say that I greatly appreciate the new Garn website. It is much easier to use and info was easier to find. I also like that it did not seem too commercial in the sense that "my unit is better than their's because it has XYZ widgets and theirs doesn't. I have to say that so far I'm leaning in it's direction for a number of reasons.

My question involves the stated BTU storage capabilities of the units. The smallest unit says something to the effect of 920,000BTU's. Obviously this is a best case senario, but I have calculated that my current nat. gas INPUT per month is ~150 therms which I calculate to be at 500,000btu's per day ON AVERAGE (please correct me if I am wrong as the rest depends on this). According to this, if I fired up the garn to top temp (200F), if I had no standby losses (i.e. no heat loss to environment) I would only have to fire it once every other day. Is this really possible or am I terribly wrong?

So if I built a very efficient storage shed with some wood storage inside and placed it close to my house (<75ft) do you think I could get away with firing it once per day?

And for those who have a unit, how much wood/how fast does it take to be all that water up to temp?

Biomass grower said:
First just let me say that I greatly appreciate the new Garn website. It is much easier to use and info was easier to find. I also like that it did not seem too commercial in the sense that "my unit is better than their's because it has XYZ widgets and theirs doesn't. I have to say that so far I'm leaning in it's direction for a number of reasons.

My question involves the stated BTU storage capabilities of the units. The smallest unit says something to the effect of 920,000BTU's. Obviously this is a best case senario, but I have calculated that my current nat. gas INPUT per month is ~150 therms which I calculate to be at 500,000btu's per day ON AVERAGE (please correct me if I am wrong as the rest depends on this). According to this, if I fired up the garn to top temp (200F), if I had no standby losses (i.e. no heat loss to environment) I would only have to fire it once every other day. Is this really possible or am I terribly wrong?

So if I built a very efficient storage shed with some wood storage inside and placed it close to my house (<75ft) do you think I could get away with firing it once per day?

And for those who have a unit, how much wood/how fast does it take to be all that water up to temp?

The statement is true. It's math so simple even I can understand it. BTU's transfered is simply the weight of the stored water x temperature drop. The formula used is for the WHS 1500 which has a nominal water capacity of 1500 gallons.

So here goes........1500(gallons) x 8.33(pounds per gl) x 80*(temperature drop 200-120) = 999,600 BTU's

Now for the variables because that is a pure math illustration only.

The first and biggest variable that throws a wrench in the works of that equation is this; what is the minimum usable temperature your heating system requires? For example: If you have a radiant floor system that is designed to work with water temps all the way down to the 90-100* range you can easily apply that figure to your application. If on the other hand you have a coil in your forced air furnace that needs a minimum of 140* you have 20* less drop to work along with a corresponding loss of usable BTU's.
(do the equation with 60 instead of 80* temp drop and you end up with about 750K)

The second variable is the weather obviously. As you already noted based on your therm usage, 500,000 BTU's is the average. At design conditions it wouldn't be abnormal to use 2-3 times that per day mandating at least a couple good fires per day. The flip side is that in shoulder season type weather, your heating demand may only be 150-200,000 btu's per day.

Thirdly, as you have already noted there will be standby losses and circulation losses. On the Garn installations that we have done I would say we average 5-7% over 24 hours provided no heating demand . Someone said 25% and that number could easily be the case in a poorly installed and designed system. I would say that would not be typical by any means and it should never be the case in a good installation. Certainly possible, I've seen lot's of installs that would go past that number.

The thing to remember is that there are a lot of variables that affect heat loss in your home. There is no way any responsible person would or should ever tell you that you'll only have to fire it once a day. If you run across such a person or salesman, politely say thank you, turn your back and walk away. He is either a liar or he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

As far as how fast the Garn will raise the water temp you can use the same equation only slightly reversed. The 1500 has a firing rate of approximately 325,000 btu/hr. ......again........depending on a few factors, but we can use that as an average with good wood. So if you drain approximately 900K out of the tank and recharge it a 325K/hr x .75( avg. efficiency) the math says about 4 hours. The 1500 and the 200 models are both sized to hold enough wood to last for about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour burn. You can figure it out from there.

Based on our experience with sizing jobs and installing the boilers and related items our customers with Garns usually wind up firing one full load plus another light load in a 24 hour period. The nice thing about the Garn is that tending the fire is not needed. When starting with a few coals (very few are needed with decent wood) you just fill it, crank 2-3 hours on the timer and walk away.

So as we heating guys are fond of saying........."It depends"..............

the new garn web site is nice, i just hope their customer relations will back it up. as a garn owner who burns 365 days a year, i would have to agree with heaterman's comments, and like the flashy green paint!

Thirdly, as you have already noted there will be standby losses and circulation losses. On the Garn installations that we have done I would say we average 5-7% over 24 hours provided no heating demand . Someone said 25% and that number could easily be the case in a poorly installed and designed system.

I was thinking if installations in Alaska I've worked with where temperatures are well below -30. In the lower 48 this isn't likely as big a problem.

On the installs you do, do you insulate the tank with 2 or 3 inches of insulation?

TMonter said:
Thirdly, as you have already noted there will be standby losses and circulation losses. On the Garn installations that we have done I would say we average 5-7% over 24 hours provided no heating demand . Someone said 25% and that number could easily be the case in a poorly installed and designed system.

I was thinking if installations in Alaska I've worked with where temperatures are well below -30. In the lower 48 this isn't likely as big a problem.

On the installs you do, do you insulate the tank with 2 or 3 inches of insulation?

We size the enclosure so the minimum dimension is 8" at the narrowest point on the sides of the boiler. Being that the Garn is circular in shape and the enclosure is square the "corners" get packed with 12-16" of fiberglass. The back is usually around 20" from the wall and that area gets filled. The front is 4" due to the dictates of the unit's design. We leave room for a minimum of 12" at the least on top. It also helps to make sure the "skin" on the enclosure is a good tight fit to help eliminate air infiltration and keep the varmints out of it.

Again, all of our installations so far have been in conditioned or at least semi conditioned spaces which maintain at least 40-45* temps. If a person were to install a Garn directly outdoors you could build the enclosure and insulate accordingly

Thanks for all the replies.

Heaterman, my MAX design temp for the radiant floor heat is 136F. I was told that it may be more efficient to drop the temp in my primary loop so that the water circulates longer and therefore the boiler would not cycle as much. Never the less, I understand how the numbers come out now. I wish that there were Garn dealers out here. Perhaps I could find someone on this forum that is in Iowa, Illinois, S. Wisconsin or S Minnesota who has one? I need to see it in action to be ready to take the next step. I think we are going to see more and more of this type of heat even out here as time goes by. I think I've even got my land lord convinced that $500-600/month for LP is a rip off.

Biomass grower said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Heaterman, my MAX design temp for the radiant floor heat is 136F. I was told that it may be more efficient to drop the temp in my primary loop so that the water circulates longer and therefore the boiler would not cycle as much. Never the less, I understand how the numbers come out now. I wish that there were Garn dealers out here. Perhaps I could find someone on this forum that is in Iowa, Illinois, S. Wisconsin or S Minnesota who has one? I need to see it in action to be ready to take the next step. I think we are going to see more and more of this type of heat even out here as time goes by. I think I've even got my land lord convinced that $500-600/month for LP is a rip off.

Biomass

There is a garn dealer in Zumbrota, about 20 minutes north of rochester MN (Dave Friedrickson (507) 282-8218) and we went over to his house about a month ago and had a look...
I thought it was way cool and to my shock my wife really liked it (though she is quite the pyro but afraid of getting burned, the eko's loading scared her, well me too, but I suppose that was the owner showing off ??). It is easy to load, simple to start and you can truly walk away from it after you load the wood, light a match, and set the timer. The other thing is that we burn more wood in our effficicient wood stove (BIS Ultra) in a night than he was burning in the garn all day, and we can only heat 1/2 of our house with our stove.

Oh and you can use it with off peak electric if you buy the kit, which I'm sure we will do.

What sucks about it is the price....12 to 15K... but over the long term it is a very good investment for us so we are saving our money, and we have a baby on the way June so it might be a while for us......

After doing all sorts of research on the other boilers and seeing them I'm saving my $ for the garn based on our situation and having a huge pole barn that we could put it in.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.