Question for Hearthstone Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMB

Nov 4, 2013
Southwestern Indiana
I've got the Manchester and noticed that an accessory to this stove is a spark screen kit used for burning with the door open. Not sure if it this is an accessory for all of the Hearthstone stoves, but I think the Clydesdale also has this option.

My question is does anyone utilize this? Just interested to see if anyone has any feedback. I guess its a good idea to get that true open fireplace feel, but I would imagine that it might be more trouble than its worth.

As a newish burner and burning a stove with a nice glass window I can't imagine why anyone would want to burn with the door open. A friend used to do it once in a while and personally I just don't get it after being around both.

I wanted to buy one when I got my Shelburne. I found it was no longer offered. After owning the Shelburne, I realize it would have been wasted money. I love watching the flames through the glass. With the screen, the fire would been much less efficient and would have produced less heat. Nor would the flames been as mesmerizing. Don't buy one until after you've owned the stove for a while...I don't think you'll even give it a second thought.

IMO, waste of money and heat. Totally inefficient. And the idea of having the door wide open at a 90 degree angle doesn't appeal to me either.

I have both an open fireplace and this insert. The insert is a much more beautiful show...door closed.

Virtually every person on this site that has bought a screen used it exactly twice. Myself included. Couldn't believe how much I didn't like it the first time.

I've spent a decent amount of time in front of my NC30 with the door open burning in campfire mode. It is pleasant because you can hear, feel, and smell the fire much better. As though you were next to a camp fire. The glass door does block radiant heat pretty well. I wouldn't do it in my house though, sparks fly out.

The Hearthstone Heritage had that option, also.Not a fan of burning with the doors open. I go through enough wood when the stoves are burning efficiently.

I actually thought about getting it for mine. I was just thinking about those times when an open fire crackling might be nice. And I've also noticed this thing puts off some crazy radiant heat when the doors are open.

The door is pretty much the only thing that's kept me from getting one. If they had a simple way of just removing the door for those times you want to run it with the screen it would be much better. On the stove in my garage taking the door off is as simple as opening it up and lifting the door up and off the bottom half of the hinges.

The door is pretty much the only thing that's kept me from getting one. If they had a simple way of just removing the door for those times you want to run it with the screen it would be much better. On the stove in my garage taking the door off is as simple as opening it up and lifting the door up and off the bottom half of the hinges.

You know...I thought the same thing about the door coming off. I wasn't even sure at first if you had to use the spark screen with the door off, or if there was a simple way to take the door off and use the screen. I guess with these air tight stoves being able to remove the door is just asking for a air leak. Oh well...

The shelburne door comes off just by lifting it plus it opens 180*. The manchester 90* max was the only thing i didnt like bout it, dont know how that door comes off! I wouldnt burn mine with door open.

Reactions: DanCorcoran
Status
Not open for further replies.