Question for Vinyl Record Enthusiasts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
Shopping for an alternative cartridge for my Fluance turntable, has an Ortofon OM10. Looking at Nagaoka MP110, Sumiko Pearl or Rainier, . Any opinions or suggestions ??

I know nothing about those carts. I rock a Technics SL-1500 and a Dual 1219. I don't know if you have heard of the site Audiokarma. Those guys are into discussing cartridges and stylus. All my stuff is vintage. I love repairing vintage receivers. I also collect and repair Tektronix oscilloscopes and other electronic equipment. Good luck with the cartridge search.

Thanks, yes I've been on Audiokarma.... I also have a 2 Dual tables, among my collections. Been trying to downsize my stereo collection,but thats not going very well !..Wish I could do electronic repairs but oh well..Mostly do speaker foams and trying to learn about recapping crossovers via web sites and youtube..

Any particular reason why you want to switch carts? You can put an OM 20, 30, or 40 stylus on there. The 30 has a nude, fine line stylus which would be a big step up over the 10, which is a bonded elliptical, I believe. I haven't heard those Sumiko or Nagaoka carts before, they are well-regarded, but I don't think they'd necessarily be a huge upgrade over the OM 10.

If you're set on trying another cartridge though, I'd take a look at the new AT-VM95ML. It's gotten great reviews, and has a microline stylus. Really good value for $170.

Thanks Riteway, There are different ways I could justify it I guess. Since retirement,, winter & being inside more, a friend owns a record store, I've dusted off my equipment and got back into it, as a hobby & obsession I guess. The Fluance caught my eye, & upgraded to an acrylic platter...I have a Grado Black 2 cartridge but there seems to me much mid to low bass, not much highs for my taste and setup.. You may be correct, in fact, I did look at the AT -VM95ML,, I'll also look into upgrading the stylus on the OM..

Ordered the AT-VM95ML. Thanks