Question of Chimney Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
New York
Hello Everyone,

I have two competitive quotes for a Pacific Energy Vista insert. The primary difference in pricing appears to be the cost of the liner. One is proposing superflex liner (link below) and the other is suggesting 304 double wall stainless steel pipe by lifetime. Both are non-corrugated, but the superflex is 3 times the thickness and probably about 3 times the price.

The liner will connect to the insert through a heatilator box. The superflex install will require cutting through the heatilator box damper to make the connection to the insert. Is this a common practice? The company suggesting the lifetime liner is saying they will not have to cut the heatilator box, but I'm concerned that's because they can bend the liner to fit through the damper. Any thoughts on this?

http://www.sleepyhollowchimneysupply.com/chimney_liner_superflex_304.htm

http://www.lifetimechimneysupply.com/_assets/pdf/liner-installation-guide.pdf

Safety is the primary concern, not price. Thank you.

Hi Iggie. I have missed you since Taxi was cancelled. About the liners, both are corrugated. That is how they flex. Super Flex doesn't give a thickness but there is no way their single wall liner is three times as thick as that double wall. If they are quoting the Super Flex "Super Flow" then it would be a double wall also, but still about the thickness of the Lifetime liner. Single wall liners are .006 or .005" thick while double wall flex is usually .013" due to the fact it is made with an inner and outer strip of stainless.

What is a heatilator??

It's VERY unlikely that a liner will go through that heatilator without cutting into it. It's no big deal and is very common. The only way to avoid it is to ovalize the liner on the end. This will reduce draft and make it harder to clean, if you have a tall chimney then it might not be a big deal.

There is no real reason to go with any special liner, your typical single wall flex will do just great. No matter what liner that you go with, make sure it's insulated and that they seal it off completely at the top. A block off plate will make it even better.

Did you ask why they are quoting higher end liners? Or, did you request it? It might save you a heap of money to go with a standard single wall liner. Keep in mind, they are all tested to the most extreme standards and I think they all have a lifetime warranty.

The superflex liner is actually manufactured by the company providing the quote. When I contacted lifetime chimney liners to provide a comparison of their liner against the superflex liner; they stated that superflex was " probably 3 times the thickness and 3 times the price". I specifically requested a chimney liner that non-corrugated but nothing else. However, I really liked the durability of the superflex liner, it was very heavy and very thick.

I need to find out about whether either company plans on insulating and sealing the liner ... That hadn't been mentioned in the statement of work. I was concerned about cutting through the heatilator box, but I don't see anyway around it either. The damper does not look like it would accommodate a 6" round pipe. Thanks for the responses.

Okee Doke ! To the Taxi fan.

I have a Superior ZC steel box fireplace with an insert. The damper was a round plate with a rod going through it. We had to cut the rod to get the damper out.

I have a Superior ZC steel box fireplace with an insert. The damper was a round plate with a rod going through it. We had to cut the rod to get the damper out.
It sounds like the OP has a heatilator firebox. It's a very heavy steel firebox that's surrounded with solid masonry.

Hello Everyone,

I have two competitive quotes for a Pacific Energy Vista insert. The primary difference in pricing appears to be the cost of the liner. One is proposing superflex liner (link below) and the other is suggesting 304 double wall stainless steel pipe by lifetime. Both are non-corrugated, but the superflex is 3 times the thickness and probably about 3 times the price.

The liner will connect to the insert through a heatilator box. The superflex install will require cutting through the heatilator box damper to make the connection to the insert. Is this a common practice? The company suggesting the lifetime liner is saying they will not have to cut the heatilator box, but I'm concerned that's because they can bend the liner to fit through the damper. Any thoughts on this?

http://www.sleepyhollowchimneysupply.com/chimney_liner_superflex_304.htm

http://www.lifetimechimneysupply.com/_assets/pdf/liner-installation-guide.pdf

Safety is the primary concern, not price. Thank you.
Your avatar cracked me up!!! Hello Iggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.