Question on drilling holes in propane tank ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patch53

Dec 10, 2009
UP of Michigan
Gents, when you drill your holes in propane tanks for the fittings, how do line them up to keep them horizontal on the sides of the propane tank? If I drill a hole with a hole saw it has to be flush with the tank, but the side of the tank is curved. Do I have to shave off some metal after the hole is made to get the fitting to fit horizontally in the tank?

thx, Pat

Pat all my holes are in the top of both of my tanks. What are you putting holes in the side for?

Rob

taxidermist said:
Pat all my holes are in the top of both of my tanks. What are you putting holes in the side for?

Rob

LOL , well I haven't drilled any yet, I was wondering if I was about to do something wrong. Does everyone use dip tubes for the plumbing?

Pat

patch53 said:
taxidermist said:

Rob

LOL , well I haven't drilled any yet, I was wondering if I was about to do something wrong. Does everyone use dip tubes for the plumbing?

Pat

Most of the tanks have a hole in the bottom for return. If they dont you can use a top port with a tube for your return. You can see some tank pics in my blog. What ever you do dont try to weld a cast coupling to the tank like I did. weld a weldolet or a peice of black pipe then screw coupling to that.

Rob

taxidermist said:
Most of the tanks have a hole in the bottom for return. If they dont you can use a top port with a tube for your return. You can see some tank pics in my blog. What ever you do dont try to weld a cast coupling to the tank like I did. weld a weldolet or a peice of black pipe then screw coupling to that.

Rob

Now I feel a little less foolish for not recognizing that I had cast iron when it wouldn't weld. I found out what you might want is a '3000 psi' forged steel half-coupling, which even I could weld.

As far as welding with the curved surface, I just heated the lip of the hole and persuaded it to become flat enough to weld with a not-so-big hammer.

My tanks did not have bottom drains. I installed dip tubes using 1" copper inside the tanks....

ewdudley said:
taxidermist said:

Rob

Now I feel a little less foolish for not recognizing that I had cast iron when it wouldn't weld. I found out what you might want is a '3000 psi' forged steel half-coupling, which even I could weld.

As far as welding welding with the curved surface, I just heated the lip of the hole and persuaded it to become flat enough to weld with a not-so-big hammer.

I have forged shedule 80 3000 lb couplings. I am using all 1 1/2" couplings for my connections. I have a 1 1/2" outlet on the tank on the bottom I can use for my return back to my boiler. How do I plumb in the supply fitting from the boiler? If I put it on the top of the tank its going to send the hot water into the tank going straight down and mix the tank. I thought the supply fittings were supposed to go into the tank horizontally to create stratification? So the fittng would have to be put on the side of the tank about 3-4" from the top, but the tank has a major curve to it at that point? What am I missing here?

Pat

Patch,

I used a hole saw to drill 3 holes in my tank and had (3) 1 1/2" weldolets welded in place. On one end at about half way down I put one hole (Supply from Boiler). On the other end about 3/4" down I drilled 2 holes, these are for the return to the boiler and return from my primary loop.

There is a hole on the bottom which I have plumber for my drain.

Good luck

How do I plumb in the supply fitting from the boiler? If I put it on the top of the tank its going to send the hot water into the tank going straight down and mix the tank. I thought the supply fittings were supposed to go into the tank horizontally to create stratification? So the fittng would have to be put on the side of the tank about 3-4" from the top, but the tank has a major curve to it at that point? What am I missing here?

Ideally sneaking an elbow with a couple of inches of sideways pipe would probably be best. Failing that, here's what I came up with:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49119/

timberr said:
Patch,

I used a hole saw to drill 3 holes in my tank and had (3) 1 1/2" weldolets welded in place. On one end at about half way down I put one hole (Supply from Boiler). On the other end about 3/4" down I drilled 2 holes, these are for the return to the boiler and return from my primary loop.

There is a hole on the bottom which I have plumber for my drain.

Good luck

If you cut a hole in the side of a propane tank, it will be on a curved surface. Any pipe connected to it will be pointing into the tank at angle that will be going somewhat up or down. If you cut the hole at the midpoint of the tank it will send water into the middle portion of the tank. I aways thought you wanted the supply water to enter the tank so it tended to stay at the top, and return water from the house zones to enter the tank so it stayed near the bottom so as not to mess up the startification. It seems to me the only way to do that is to cut the holes on the ends of the tank and run the piping in horizontally, but the hole angle will mean the couplings will be pointing mainly up or down, not horizontally. How is that overcome?

Pat

[quote ]
Good luck[/quote]
It seems to me the only way to do that is to cut the holes on the ends of the tank and run the piping in horizontally, but the hole angle will mean the couplings will be pointing mainly up or down, not horizontally. How is that overcome?

[/quote]

Pat,

Coming in the top of one end would be ideal, just cut the hole and then file it out until it will accept a piece of pipe parallel to the wall of the tank and weld it in place. Ideally you would extend the pipe the length of the tank and then cut a slot in the side for best diffusion. If you did that you would probably need to devise some way of supporting the far end, or bring it right on out the opposite end and cap it off.

--ewd

You can weld black steel pipe right into the tank if you want. Using a length of larger pipe will slow down the water as it goes into the tank and help minimize mixing. Then outside the tank you can bush it down to the supply pipe size. 2 inch X 18" nipples are good candidates.
You can end up with some kind of oval hole to get the water to enter the tank at the preferred angle. This is not a job for a hole saw but an oxy-acetylene cutting torch is way faster than a hole saw anyway.

Here's one method:

PVC drain pipe is about the same OD as steel pipe of the same size. You can take a piece of PVC pipe and cut it to fit the curve of the tank where you want to go in and at the angle you want. This doesn't need to be an airtight fit but approximate. Band saw, belt sand, hacksaw, grinding wheel (be prepared to redress the wheel afterward) whatever you have to shape it to the surface of the tank. Then sand/grind off the tank's paint out to a couple inches away from where you will be welding. Hold the PVC pipe where you want it and mark around its outline with soapstone marker. Get out your cutting torch and cut it out inside that outline and pointing the flame parallel to the pipe's intended direction into the tank. Then with your actual piece of pipe start filing or grinding away the cutting slag and whatever steel is left until you get the pipe to fit as well as you can inside the hole in the tank. A cylindrical carbide bur in a pistol drill works pretty well. A high RPM die grinder is best but if you have one of those you probably don't need my advice on doing this.

Bear in mind that if you get out to a long oval to get the pipe farther away from perpendicular to the tank surface it will give you a sharp inside corner between the pipe and tank at one end of the oval that can be tricky to weld into. Check with your welder to see how comfortable they are with what you want to do before cutting a big hole in the tank. The closer the pipe fits into the hole in the tank, the easier it will be to make a leak free weld.

Bon appetit.

DaveBP said:
This is not a job for a hole saw but an oxy-acetylene cutting torch is way faster than a hole saw anyway.

You might be surprised, Dave, I know I sure was.

Properly lubricated, those Lennox hole saws will walk an inch and a half hole right through 5/16' steel much faster than I would ever have expected, on the order of two minutes or less. If you don't need a neat job the torch might be faster, but by the time you clean up a torched hole to be as precise as the drilled hole, the drilled hole is a faster and nicer.

--ewd

I used a hole saw to cut my 3 holes and it was very fast (< 5 min. for all 3). As for the comment about the direction the holes are pointing. The supply on mine is dead center of the end so that water goes in straight. The to returns are in the lower end and do point up. When I am running on storage I usually see 208 to 25* of stratification. Since the water is moving at 1-2 gal/min I don't think the angle has much effect on stratification. I have noticed that the water volocity is more important.

ewdudley said:
[quote ]
Good luck
It seems to me the only way to do that is to cut the holes on the ends of the tank and run the piping in horizontally, but the hole angle will mean the couplings will be pointing mainly up or down, not horizontally. How is that overcome?

[/quote]

Pat,

Coming in the top of one end would be ideal, just cut the hole and then file it out until it will accept a piece of pipe parallel to the wall of the tank and weld it in place. Ideally you would extend the pipe the length of the tank and then cut a slot in the side for best diffusion. If you did that you would probably need to devise some way of supporting the far end, or bring it right on out the opposite end and cap it off.

--ewd[/quote]

Elliot, this is what I was thinking of doing. My buddy gave me a carbide bit hole saw to use so it shouldn't be too bad. he also has a big dremel-like tool that I can use to grind away some metal at the top and bottom of the hole so the coupling will fit in horizontally. I think I'm actually going to use a 2" double threaded coupling for the boiler supply line and run a diffuser pipe inside. I should be able to slow the flow down a lot with a short length of 2" pipe about 2 feet long before entering the tank, and then have it diffuse upward once in the tank. I'll only run about 3 feet into the tank though.

thx, Pat

Properly lubricated, those Lennox hole saws will walk an inch and a half hole right through 5/16’ steel much faster than I would ever have expected, on the order of two minutes or less. If you don’t need a neat job the torch might be faster, but by the time you clean up a torched hole to be as precise as the drilled hole, the drilled hole is a faster and nicer.

I would like to watch that hole saw cut a hole at a 30 degree angle to the surface in a hand held power tool. Actually, watching the guy trying to hold on to that power drill sounds like a YouToob moment.

A circular hole perpendicular to the surface is for hole saws. I'll grant you that. That's what I use, too. Some folks are stymied about porting a propane tank at anything other than square on. So I was suggesting a way to put a hole in wherever you want at whatever angle needed rather than compromise your design intent because you can't get a hole saw to do it. It takes time, but a torch and grinder allows you to do what YOU want to do rather than settle for what one particular tool CAN do.

Not to take away from the main area of the thread, but I have a queston about cutting these tanks. If you use a propane or any sort of tank that was used for fuel storage, what are you guys doing to prevent the tank from exploding when you use a torch on it or drill and sparks hit the inside? I know I had an old gas tank that had a leak and I tried to repair it many years ago. I removed the tank from the car, drained it, flushed it completely with water, and then it jumped 6' off the ground when the torch hit it as I was about to solder it. The tank went from flat to a marshmellow as fast as my underwear went from clean to dirty.

patch53 said:
[This] is what I was thinking of doing. My buddy gave me a carbide bit hole saw to use so it shouldn't be too bad. he also has a big dremel-like tool that I can use to grind away some metal at the top and bottom of the hole so the coupling will fit in horizontally. I think I'm actually going to use a 2" double threaded coupling for the boiler supply line and run a diffuser pipe inside. I should be able to slow the flow down a lot with a short length of 2" pipe about 2 feet long before entering the tank, and then have it diffuse upward once in the tank. I'll only run about 3 feet into the tank though.

Lemme back-pedal some here. Ideally a diffuser pipe would run the length of the tank with a slot in the side. For chilled water, where the differences in density are a lot less, getting things just-so really matters, but for hot water there's no need to sweat it much because the hot water will rise nicely unless you go out of your way to create a mixing jet.

I think that if you just weld a fat coupling or pipe within a couple inches or so from the top of the end of the tank as it lays on its side, the fact that it points downward a little -- or substantially even -- will matter very little in the end and you really don't need run a diffuser pipe into the tank unless it's fun, easy, and what-the-hell-why-not.

There's plenty of guys here who have plumbed into the top side of a horizontal tank, pointing straight down through a 1.5 inch coupling at 15-20 gpm (3-4 ft /sec) and it stratifies just fine.

DaveBP said:

Properly lubricated, those Lennox hole saws will walk an inch and a half hole right through 5/16’ steel much faster than I would ever have expected, on the order of two minutes or less. If you don’t need a neat job the torch might be faster, but by the time you clean up a torched hole to be as precise as the drilled hole, the drilled hole is a faster and nicer.

I would like to watch that hole saw cut a hole at a 30 degree angle to the surface in a hand held power tool. Actually, watching the guy trying to hold on to that power drill sounds like a YouToob moment.

A circular hole perpendicular to the surface is for hole saws. I'll grant you that. That's what I use, too. Some folks are stymied about porting a propane tank at anything other than square on. So I was suggesting a way to put a hole in wherever you want at whatever angle needed rather than compromise your design intent because you can't get a hole saw to do it. It takes time, but a torch and grinder allows you to do what YOU want to do rather than settle for what one particular tool CAN do.

Oh I see. I was proposing cutting perpendicularly with the hole saw and then hogging the hole out into an ellipse with plain old bastard rat tail. For me it would be the quickest way to get to the point of having something easy to weld gas-tight, because unfortunately I've been known to overestimate my torch skills in the past. Certainly better skills and tools would be preferable.

Lemme back-pedal some here. Ideally a diffuser pipe would run the length of the tank with a slot in the side. For chilled water, where the differences in density are a lot less, getting things just-so really matters, but for hot water there’s no need to sweat it much because the hot water will rise nicely unless you go out of your way to create a mixing jet.

I think that if you just weld a fat coupling or pipe within a couple inches or so from the top of the end of the tank as it lays on its side, the fact that it points downward a little—or substantially even—will matter very little in the end and you really don’t need run a diffuser pipe into the tank unless it’s fun, easy, and what-the-hell-why-not.

There’s plenty of guys here who have plumbed into the top side of a horizontal tank, pointing straight down through a 1.5 inch coupling at 15-20 gpm (3-4 ft /sec) and it stratifies just fine.

I'm with you, Eliot.
Trying to minimize mixing at the ports into a propane storage tank can be enticing to those prone to obsessing about small details. I'm a good example of that.
Big pipe, top and bottom. That's pretty simple and probably all you need to know.
If you have water returning to the tank from various loads with different temperatures it might get messy. Especially with solar heat input. I don't know what one would do in that case.
But for the boiler water going in at the top, after the tank has filled with hot water a bit, what's it going to mix with? More hot water. No large deal.

...what are you guys doing to prevent the tank from exploding when you use a torch on it or drill and sparks hit the inside?

Safest way to get the propane out is to fill it completely with water. That drives the propane gas out. Then drain and serve.

I will know in a a couple of days as to how my tanks are mixing. With the help of Twofer from the site I have my Arduino working to read tank temps. He is working on getting me set up on data logging to show my systems performace. My secondary loop pump runs all the time so I know I get mixing but the hottest temps were still at the top of the tanks. I run into the top of the tank with 1" from the boiler and out the bottom with 1" return to boiler.

Rob

Go to a welders forum. I think you'll get a different prospective on welding propane tanks. I know many here have done it and are still alive to brag about it. Me being one. Please just look into it. It's a good job to farm out!

Go to a welders forum. I think you’ll get a different prospective on welding propane tanks. I know many here have done it and are still alive to brag about it. Me being one. Please just look into it. It’s a good job to farm out!

The guy that's welding my propane tanks use to make his living welding Xray inspected nuclear reactor pressure vessels. I think it is a great job to farm out to someone who really knows their stuff. That would not be me as welder.

On the other hand, a fellow near here repairs propane tanks for one of the local propane dealers when they have a pinhole leak. He says he has them top them off with propane before he welds them. Talk about the courage of your convictions.! I guess if it's full of liquid propane it doesn't have room for air, huh? The arc is only running for a couple seconds and he knows where the leak is by the little yellow flame. Says he's repaired 5 tanks that way.

Do you need to put copper heat exchange tubes in the propane tank? Or is it just to store the hot water coming from the boiler?? I want to buy a propane tank and make my own storage but dont know where to begin. If anyone has taken pictures during their process of building there storage tanks and could send them to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.