Question on HarmonP61a Firebricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eaci

Jan 28, 2014
northern new hampshire
Hi Everyone we installed a new Harmon P61 a few months ago..I noticed that in the firebox there is room to put more fire bricks would this be beneficial to do..Has anyone done this..Any input would be appreciated Thanks

You should have 3. If you don't, TSC sells them. Around $3 a pop, IIRC.

If you can squeeze another on the shelf, I suppose you could add another, but I bet it's an accident waiting to happen and hopefully your hand takes the damage, not the door glass ;)

HarmAn

You should have 3. If you don't, TSC sells them. Around $3 a pop, IIRC.

If you can squeeze another on the shelf, I suppose you could add another, but I bet it's an accident waiting to happen and hopefully your hand takes the damage, not the door glass ;)

HarmAn
Ok Thank You ..If I added additional bricks on sides and supported them.. would that increase heat on heat exchangers producing more blower heat..

Ok Thank You ..If I added additional bricks on sides and supported them.. would that increase heat on heat exchangers producing more blower heat..
I never really thought of that, but my guess is yes, by a trivial amount.

Good question, never thought of adding more bricks. But before I did, I'd like to know just what those 3 bricks are for? Do they protect the back of the stove (and the components behind it) from temperature spikes due to direct flame contact, or...?? If so, then I guess more bricks might be able to save a few btu's from conducting into the back of the stove, but probably only a "trivial amount". Any further insight from the pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.