Question on hearth materials

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdwoodstovenewbie

Oct 20, 2016
Eureka, SD
Good morning! I am new here, have read many, many threads and have received so much helpful information that I have utilized, so thank you all so much! I may have needed to dig further through some posts but I will just go ahead with my question anyway: We have purchased a Kitchen Queen wood cookstove via an auction but it is only 7 years old and in immaculate condition. We are trying to get all the appropriate specs straight for the hearth. It requires an R value of 1.8 so here is my question....do we go the Micore 300 under durock route? Do we need tile over the durock (which if I recall has an R value of .39 (?))....ANY insight, recommendations, experience much needed!! Thank you all so much in advance!

Sincerely,
T

A layer of 1/2" micore under 2 layers of 1/2" Durock would be one way to achieve the R=1.8 value. You will need something to protect the Durock from the weight of the legs and spills, etc. from the stove. Tile is a typical covering but it could be sheet steel or other solid, non-combustible.

Oh great, ok!...another question- we had salvaged numerous old slate chalkboards from an old school they were taking down....is it possible this would be a possible surface on the Durock? Am figuring the R value of the slate is minimal to non-existent and was also concerned about the weight of the stove cracking the slate. If not for hearth, is it possible the slate could be a possible alternative over the Durock in the back and/or sides of stove? And THEN..another question on that....how the heck do you affix the slate? Thank you again so much!

Slate can be pretty fragile. It needs a very flat and uniform supporting base. Slate tiles can be affixed using latex modified thinset, but laying down a whole sheet at once would required a notched troweled bed I would think, but I would call a slate company to see what is recommended.

I just did a slate tile hearth for my stove with modified thinset. It went quite well. For a large sheet like a chalkboard, some of the old ones are quite thick and should work fine as long as the thinset is laid in a nice even bed with a notched trowel like begreen was saying.

ok, thank you so much for your replies!! I had one more question I had forgotten earlier. My husband and I are planning to put the stove kiddy corner in the house as we have a weird space in the middle of the house that would accommodate it nicely and where it would effectively heat the entire house. We could go either straight up thru roof or thru the wall. I have been doing all kinds of reading on pros and cons of either and have to admit I really like the idea of the triple wall duravent pipe being outside the building. Any recommendations on what you find works best.....45, 90 degree angles? thru the roof? thru the wall?...any preferences Live in SD..winter can start anytime soon....Lol!

straight up drafts better and personally i would go with double wall insulated class A over the triple wall. if you have to go through the wall keep the horizontal section as short as possible and with a 1/4" per foot angle

Reactions: Woody Stover
. We could go either straight up thru roof or thru the wall. I have been doing all kinds of reading on pros and cons of either and have to admit I really like the idea of the triple wall duravent pipe being outside the building. Any recommendations on what you find works best.....45, 90 degree angles? thru the roof? thru the wall?...any preferences Live in SD..winter can start anytime soon....Lol!
straight up is cheaper and works better so if possible that is the way you should go. I would also recommend not using triple wall but using double wall insulated it is a better product because it has twice the insulation in a smaller package.

The stove is connected to the chimney with stove pipe. That is not big and shiny like chimney pipe. Chimney pipe starts at the ceiling with the stove pipe connected to it, so what you would be looking at in the room would be black stove pipe. Single wall stove pipe needs 18" wall clearance unless shielded. Double-wall stove pipe requires 6".

Status
Not open for further replies.