Question on O.A.k insterts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
I don't think I can get one that goes up my outside masonry chimney with my old blaze king insert. My question is, does it have to have it's air intake on the back of the stove? Do stoves that are capable have two air intakes, one in the front for not using oak, and one in the back if using oak, so then you seal one up depending on application? I don't see how only having an air inlet in the back of a sealed insert would work if not using oak. Sorry if this sounds dumb. I would really like to get an oak going if possible, but my only air inlet is on the front under the door. Thanks.

My house is really drafty next to the garage door. When I have a huge fire blazing (old school not efficient at all) it's sucking all kinds of air, and one side of the room is cold(incoming air) and the other is hot as can be. If your in the middle sitting on the couch, one side of you feels the chill, and the other one is melting. lol. Just don't have the money for a new efficient one at the time.

oops, wont let me edit my goof in title. inserts.

Seal up the house air leaks. It's a fix that you'll benefit from for the life of the house or yourself, whichever comes first.

I have to agree fully with BeGreen. We too lived in a draft old house. Last year we did a bit of remodeling and added a small addition. In addition to that (pun intended) we super insulated the house, put in new windows and doors. True, we had a mild winter last year but we were also heating more space. We went from burning 3 cord of wood to burning only 2. Having the house without the bad drafts is super!

To be honest, and I've never posted this before but we had an OAK one time and really could not see a benefit with it but it also may have had something to do with the drafty house.

Does anyone know if you can buy a kit for any stove, or does it have to be an oak ready stove? Like I said, my air inlet is in the front on the bottom.

Many insert manufacturers don't even give you that option. You might be able to modify an OAK attachment that fits a wood stove from the same manufacturer, tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.