Question on venting wood stove up a brick chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to imagine it is much easier to get a safe install using a single contiguous piece of SS liner than to go putting together pieces of black pipe. Each seam/connection needs to be screwed together etc - how do you do that going up 20' of chimney? Build from the bottom and keep adding section (lift pipe, stick next section under, screw into place, repeat?) or do you do the same thing from the top (have someone hold the partial pipe as you add pieces and drop down the chimney? Do you make one LONG piece and try to stand it up on the roof and drop down? I don't know - just seems very likely something can go wrong. Plus each of those connection places is a potential risk of air leaking in resulting in reduced draft and/or condensation build up at those points.

I'm with Brancburner - better to just do the job right the first time. I don't know about you, but I bet I'd be very slow to pull anything out once I put it in place and therefore risk 'forgetting' that black pipe for much longer than originally intended... until something reminded me (as in a failure).

Status
Not open for further replies.