Question on wall protection - Jotul 8

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottgen20

Feb 15, 2006
Lower Saucon, PA
Hi All,

I've got an question about wall protection.

I moved into an old farmhouse last Spring. The house had a stove installed, single wall pipe, and wall protection. I removed the old stove (Efel coal) and installed my Jotul 8. I had a chimney company come out and look at the install and they said all looked good, but now that I look further, im starting to question the wall protection.

I'm attaching pictures for reference. They old owners had their stove installed since the mid 80's, and they have wall protection with an air gap built out in front of a Sheetrock wall. What has me perplexed is the material used for the wall protection. It looks like faux brick panels that are textured (which have been painted)... No issue there, except that I'm really not sure that they're temperature rated. They seem to be fibrous, almost like some type of compressed cardboard material but about 1/2 inch thick. It's a soft material on the backside - I can push my nail into the backside or side of the material as its soft. I've not seen anything like it, so I wanted to see if it could be ID'd.. Maybe something that was available in the early-mid 80's?

At this point I'm probably just going to remove it and replace it with Durock for piece of mind.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 131
Hi All,

I've got an question about wall protection.

I moved into an old farmhouse last Spring. The house had a stove installed, single wall pipe, and wall protection. I removed the old stove (Efel coal) and installed my Jotul 8. I had a chimney company come out and look at the install and they said all looked good, but now that I look further, im starting to question the wall protection.

I'm attaching pictures for reference. They old owners had their stove installed since the mid 80's, and they have wall protection with an air gap built out in front of a Sheetrock wall. What has me perplexed is the material used for the wall protection. It looks like faux brick panels that are textured (which have been painted)... No issue there, except that I'm really not sure that they're temperature rated. They seem to be fibrous, almost like some type of compressed cardboard material but about 1/2 inch thick. It's a soft material on the backside - I can push my nail into the backside or side of the material as its soft. I've not seen anything like it, so I wanted to see if it could be ID'd.. Maybe something that was available in the early-mid 80's?

At this point I'm probably just going to remove it and replace it with Durock for piece of mind.

Here is head on view of the material as well..

Hi All,

Did a bit more investigating and I'm now thinking I'm ok and don't need to replace the wall shield. I unscrewed some of the panel and peeled it back from the wall and was able to locate (as I had hoped!) a manufacturer mark.. It's stamped R-CO Wall Shield, R-CO Products. UL Listed 40H5.

Status
Not open for further replies.