Questions about chimney pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyGuy

Jul 28, 2015
New York
Hi Everyone,

Newby here. I will be installing my first wood furnace to heat my garage/woodshop as soon as I get all the correct parts. Bought a year old NewEnglander wood furnace model 28-3500 that is in excellent condition. It has a 6" Chimney flue outlet. This will be installed downstairs in the garage area of a 2 story carriage house on concrete in it's own little room with the code required 5//8" sheetrock and duct work up to the woodshop above. Chimney is planned to go straight up thru the ceiling, into the woodshop and straight up thru the roof. From the top of the furnace to the underside of the roof is approx. 12', then due to a 7 on 12 pitched roof I will need 8' plus of pipe above the roof for a total of 20' +/- of chimney.
I am on a low budget here trying to get a new shop up and running again. I have been looking at used chimney pipe on craigslist. Not being familiar with this stuff I need to get advice on what I am seeing. As I figure I need to go with double walled pipe to keep the chimney temp up due to the length of total chimney height so that it doesn't cool at the top and create creosote at the top. Sound right?
I keep seeing this "Metalbestos" pipe for sale. To me anything that sounds like Asbestos....I tend to avoid. Probably depends on the age of the stuff though. Should I be avoiding this type or is it fine and does it really contain asbestos?
As far as these locking pipes go, do they come apart and go back together safely, or is there a seal between the ends of these pipes that get ruined when taken apart? In other words, can I buy used pipes and just reassemble it and have it be fine and safe or do I have to buy new to do this install right? I know new is ideal, but I just can't afford it right now. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

The manual of your wood furnace and/or label should tell you what chimney pipe to use
This is a link to the manual: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/94/94818dd1-4abe-442d-b40e-22c705e84415.pdf

2. Premanufactured Flue System: In the past few years, premanufactured flue
systems have become very popular. This type system is fairly easy to install and
when installed correctly, it is a very safe. There are many premanufactured flue
systems on the market from which to choose. In making your choice, be sure the
system has a recognized label of approval such as U.L., B.O.C.A. or I.C.B.O.
Any of these labels will ensure the flue system is constructed of the proper
materials and meets the required safety standards. Your local dealer will
normally handle an approved, high-quality flue system.
NOTE: Be sure to use “HT” Pipe.

That means UL103HT

Metalbestos is a brand name
I'm pretty sure there is not asbestos used in this

The chimney pipe manual will address your questions regarding used pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.