Questions about my quadra fire isle royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Billybong120

Oct 25, 2020
Dubuque iowa
How's it going everyone. I'm new to the wood stove burning and did my install myself and figured I would ask you all about this since I didn't see it answered.
So I have a quadra fire isle royale and my question is how close can you get it next to painted drywall. From what I read it was 8inchs and to be safe I went to 15inchs and something like 22 in the back. It's a corner install if that helps. I will include a picture. Just need some reassurance that I won't burn my house down.

IMG_20201025_211017051.jpg

The IR is a serious heater. it needs to be 18" from any combustible in the corner with single wall stove pipe. This corner clearance can be reduced to 6" with double-wall but I would exceed the minimum.

Do you have the manual?

The IR is a serious heater. it needs to be 18" from any combustible in the corner with single wall stove pipe. This corner clearance can be reduced to 6" with double-wall but I would exceed the minimum.

Do you have the manual?
I do have the manual and from what I read it was 8inchs and I'm using double wall pipe.

It may depend on the manual date. I just compared the 2006 manual to the 2013 manual. Both say 6" for double-wall, but the newer manual says 22" for single wall (dimension E).

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.08.34 PM.png

So I guess my question is that is for the pipe to the wall correct? I was more thinking the stove to the wall distance?
It is the dimension E clearance from the corner of the stove as shown in the manual.

Reactions: Billybong120
It is the dimension E clearance from the corner of the stove as shown in the manual.
Cool that's for the help I'm well over that so I think I will be good. Got to say though I'm heating around 3000sq foot and this stove does wonders. It does like to eat the wood though but I have got 8-10hr burns out of it. Now just have to decide if I want to go with a blower or Maybe a top mount heat activated fan

It's a great heater. I might have one now, though our corner clearances were tight. Some floorplans work well by having a fan on the floor blowing air from the cooler section of the house toward the stove room. Can you post a sketch of the floorplan that includes the stove location?

It's a great heater. I might have one now, though our corner clearances were tight. Some floorplans work well by having a fan on the floor blowing air from the cooler section of the house toward the stove room. Can you post a sketch of the floorplan that includes the stove location?

Here is a very poorly drawn floor plan. It's very open and all the rooms have ceiling fans. This is my chimney setup. I made my own brackets so I didn't have to go though the roof. So far it's been good but this stove seems to like to be ran hot. I keep it around 600-650 and it's seems to do a good job

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_173207512.jpg
    IMG_20201028_173207512.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20201028_173207512.jpg
    IMG_20201028_173207512.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20201028_173310234_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201028_173310234_HDR.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 84
Holy horizontal run! No problems with smoke rollout? How long is your horizontal? Glad it's working but I am surprised.
2X45's indoors to replace your 90 would help if you do have trouble.
Nice looking stove.

Reactions: Billybong120
Yes, that long horizontal should also be watched closely for creosote buildup, especially when it gets cold out.

I would try the stove with just the ceiling fans running on low. That may be sufficient. If not take a basic table or box fan and run it on low speed, set on the floor to blow air from the cooler location toward the stove.

Holy horizontal run! No problems with smoke rollout? How long is your horizontal? Glad it's working but I am surprised.
2X45's indoors to replace your 90 would help if you do have trouble.
Nice looking stove.
As far as smoke rollout do you mean inside the house? So far it drafts great and haven't had any issues and I'm running about 20ft straight up outside

Yes, that long horizontal should also be watched closely for creosote buildup, especially when it gets cold out.

I would try the stove with just the ceiling fans running on low. That may be sufficient. If not take a basic table or box fan and run it on low speed, set on the floor to blow air in the cooler location toward the stove.
I planned on running the stove for a couple week then seeing how it's doing for build up. I put the clean out in a very easy place too access so shouldn't be to hard to clean it. Still new to bring so we will see how it goes. I heard you want to burn hotter to get a complete burn so I'm trying not to damper down too much at night