Questions for Insert Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
I am gathering everything i need for my install and had a few questions. I am installing a used hampton HI300 and doing an insulated liner and back off plate. I want to make sure i have everything i need to get it done correctly.
1) For the back off plate, can i seal around it with silicon to the chiminey wall and liner or it be too hot?
2) What do you use to attach the back off plate? I am assuming some sort of screw, does it go into the brick or the mortor?
3) I didn't get the brackets to attach the stove adaptor to my insert (bought it used). The insert has three holes in it. Are the brackets anything special or can i just use some angle iron? Also what type of screws to attach the brackets, just plain sheet metal?
4) What can i use to seal the stove adapter to the stove and the liner to the stove adapter, will be too hot for silicon for sure.
5) the kit i got says to just use silicon to attach the cap on the top of the chimney, is this sufficient or do i need to screw it down some how?
6) the chimney cap i currently have has some nails holding it on and i will be taking them out, should i seal the holes with silicon or some cement?

I'll ans a couple questions. Hi temp silicon works well for making a seal between the block-off plate and the masonry. I used tap con screws in the mortar joints to fasten the plate to the masonry but regular masonry nails work. Just needs to be tacked in place especially if using silicon.

If I understand you correctly you don't need a sealant at the draw down adapter/liner connection. It probably won't hurt if you want to use flue cement but it will most likely fall out over time anyway.

I installed one last year and will be installing one for my self in my new house, nice insert!

I used reg silicon and tapcon screws to secure the block off plate to the chimney wall. No silicone by the liner, i just stuck the insulated liner through and with roxul above i didnt see any reason it needed more.

Angle iron should work fine, the brackets they give you have 22.5* bends so there is no 90* bend. Prolly makes it easier to attach and yes reg self tapping screws is what they use.

I didnt use any sealant where the stove collar and liner attach, it was a nice fit and prolly not necessary.

Take a pic of the top of your chimney and the cap and other stuff being used, im sure others will know more about attaching all that stuff!

Download the manual from the regency site also if you dont have one already, it shows you what the brackets look like too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.