Questions from a noob, Need recomendation for stove, and have some special needs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vizzle

Oct 6, 2008
South east CT
I bought my house with a small wood stove already there. It only takes about an 18 inch piece of wood, and don't last all night. I have already called the town, and asked what the requirements were to replace a wood stove, and they gave me the whole permit thing, and that they do not have any requirements outside of what the manufacturer requires. I figure that makes things a little easier. My existing set up has wall tiles that are about an inch thick and has solid rock that is cemented in about 4 inches thick. The rock platform is 40inch by 50 inches. And in front of the wood stove, and to the left there is no wall (like a big L where there is no wall).

I need a stove with clearances to fit in this space.
I have looked at the Drolet Myriad, and it would do the trick, barely, but it would. Then I have read that it does not burn all night. I also am looking at the Drolet escape, but there are not official listing of burn times. I really liked the price, but I am not totally bound to it. I would like to keep near there.

Basically my real needs here are:
-20 inch of bigger piece of wood
-Burn time of 8+ hours.
-fit in my area.

Can anyone help me here and recommend something that will work? Thanks in advance! And sorry for being such a newb here. Its been a rough search, and hard to find anything. I always get towards the end, and wam! Something I find in the manual, that boots that idea right out. I think I got all my newb questions right here in one sitting. Atleast I hope.

How big a space are you trying to heat? That would determine the stove size.

If you drop the requirement for 20+" wood, there are some good long burning stoves out there. The Pacific Energy Super 27 is one that comes to mind. It has great close clearances and excellent burn times. But 18" is the wood length.

16" is a very standard wood length. Maybe network here with other CT folks to locate new wood sources?

- What is the size of the space you are trying to heat? What is your budget? There are bigger stoves, but you may have constraints that may make the bigger stove a bad fit.

BeGreen said:
16" is a very standard wood length. Maybe network here with other CT folks to locate new wood sources?

- What is the size of the space you are trying to heat? What is your budget? There are bigger stoves, but you may have constraints that may make the bigger stove a bad fit.

I want to spend less then 1300

I have a 1100 sq feet cape.

I pay 175 for a cord and a quarter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.