Questions regarding space & request for pics...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_a_stewart

Jun 5, 2008
Central ME
Hi all,

One of the main reasons we are considering an indoor unit is because we're not sure where we would actually put an OWB. The back of our house sits about 20 feet from our property line. I believe this makes it a no go due to city/state setback requirements. To the right of our house is our leach field (and playing lawn) so that's a no go. This leaves us with the left of our house, which is actually where we prefer to put it, but the land to that side of the house is on a downhill slope. The Central Boiler guy told us we really don't want it downhill if we can avoid it. This means we'd need to put it relatively close to our house. So our question is, how close is TOO close? And, if we go as close as can be, do we really need to plan to use a chimney that clears the top of our house (which has a very high pitch, at least 30 feet up there and we're not sure how that big of a chimey would work - would there be any draft issues?). Proximity to neighbors is not an issue. I'd love to hear how you have gotten around placement issues and if anyone would be willing to share pictures of their OWB set ups, that would be great.

Thanks!
-Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.