Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

384sqft

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Arkansas
Hello again!

Do I dare use 6" pipe on the Vigilant? I have a lot of it that was given to us so we would just have to go buy an adapter for the stove flue... Or should I just go bite the bullet and buy all 8" pipe and chimney??

Also! The manual says that the hearth thingie needs to be 48'' by 53" none of the places here sell anything of that size. One of the fellas I spoke to told me to just use those square stepping stone things like Lowes sells. Would that be OK?

Lily

I would use 8" pipe, or buy a stove with a 6" flue and take advantage of the tax credit and sell the Vigilant used for a few hundred bucks.

You may be able to buy 6" pipe, a new stove deduct the cost of selling your vigilant and spend about the same money as buying an 8" chimney system

American Panel and other manufacturers make 56x48 pre made hearth pads. If you want to use patio blocks, I would check with the local code enforcer. I think you need sheetmetal first on the floor, then wonderboard, then you can use your blocks

Franks said:
I would use 8" pipe.
American Panel and other manufacturers make 56x48 pre made hearth pads. If you want to use patio blocks, I would check with the local code enforcer. I think you need sheetmetal first on the floor, then wonderboard, then you can use your blocks

Sound advice, a little research will answer a lot of questions, check local codes, time consuming but what isnt?
You're on the right track and all your hard work will not be in vain, especially once you fire up that stove. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.