Quick wood ID pls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wtf

May 13, 2017
New jersey
Burning this in a cabin rental north of Scranton PA this morning,, very heavy for its size , stove wood, tan, dry, dense but small pieces are easy to split, most has no bark but here's one. Thx

IMG_20210402_140152.jpg IMG_20210402_140152.jpg IMG_20210402_140218.jpg

Cherry?

Need to see the wood not the the bark. End grain too.

Black birch, if it was cherry it wouldn't burn as well as you say.

Reactions: Lakeside
I agree, not cherry - sapwood layer should be clearer.

Bark with horizontal stripes on the flatter pieces means it's not oak imo.

Bark looks like cherry.

It does look cherry-ish,,which is what threw me, def not cherry though, wasn't very aromatic. You guys are right about the horizontal striations,,I wouldn't have thought birch family since mostly see young paper birch or w.birch which are smooth barked

Like others have stated could be Black Birch ( mature ) . I have burned a lot of it over the years.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
White oak

Heavy to me means something like oak, hickory, or locust.

The bark is making me draw a blank. But I'd guess some type of oak, not chestnut oak, but the wood looks like chestnut oak.

Heavy to me means something like oak, hickory, or locust.

The bark is making me draw a blank. But I'd guess some type of oak, not chestnut oak, but the wood looks like chestnut oak.
Black birch is heavy and oak doesn't have that smooth, flaky bark. It's one of my favorite firewoods because its high in BTU's and it not messy in the house. Had two cords one winter.

Reactions: Lakeside