QUIET ......... humidifiers? No more jet engine in the living/bedrooms!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
I know we had a thread about this last year but with more info from newer members are there any recommendations for QUIET humidifiers?
Mine still sounds like a 747.

From what I remember the warm mist are the quietest?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up a gallon of distilled water!

As far as quiet. I would suspect that warm mist vapo's would tend to be quiet as they usually have no moving parts and rely on a heating element to boil water and convection for it to rise into the air. Although they seem to use somewhat more energy. An evaporative unit is probably the most noisy as it would tend to rely on a large fan to move air over an absorbent pad. I have a cool mist humidifier in the bedroom because of the wife's sensitivity to dry air (a pan of water on the insert does fine for the whole rest of the house) It is essentially silent except for the occasional gurgle of water out of the holding tank and into the reservoir. It used to make a "dripping" or "trickling" sound as water splashed around the ultrasonic vaporizing disk, but I made a foam shround to catch the water and return it gently to the reservoir. I suspect this may be the path to the most vapor in the air per kW of electricity.

Just my .02

Corey

babalu87 said:
I know we had a thread about this last year but with more info from newer members are there any recommendations for QUIET humidifiers?
Mine still sounds like a 747.

From what I remember the warm mist are the quietest?

Thanks in advance

Try sears they have a nice small unit that will handle 2000 s.f quite on low and does a great job
Model # 758.154080 can't remember what i paid.

Babs,

Is the 747 the only thing you have running now??

we don't use one...a huge teapot nearly 2 gals is constantly on the stove with a 1/2 gallon steamer...laundry always dried in the house...and a newfy, rotweiller, chow that thinks it is a polar bear keep it pretty moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.