Quoting wood inserts - what questions to ask?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MN Mike

Feb 11, 2018
Twin Cities
I have been searching on the forums here for similar content but was unable to locate anything, so please redirect me if anyone has better luck or knows of a post.

I've been shopping around for a few weeks, and nearing ready to make my selection. I've settled on the Enviro Boston 1700. What questions should I ask the installer, regarding their quote and any other specifics?

Here's a list of questions I have so far - are there other things I should be considering? If you could also mention the rationale for the question, that would be helpful for me to understand the impact in my situation.
  1. For the quoted liner, what does the cap look like? Is it capped with a screen for critters?
  2. Is the quoted liner smooth or corrugated? (Smooth is better) Cost for smooth?
  3. Does the installation include modifying/removing the existing damper?
  4. Does the installation include a block off plate at the top near the cap, as well as insulation/block off near the damper?
  5. Is the fan able to be omitted from purchase? Cost savings? (p.s. do fans in an open floor plan have positive impact on comfort? I will spend the money if people genuinely feel they are a benefit, but my dealers have generally said they don't distribute heat beyond a few paces from the stove.)
  6. Does the quote include transporting the unit to my house? If not, cost?
  7. Does the quote include inspection and sweeping of the existing chimney? If not, cost?
  8. What is the warranty coverage for the unit, and installation?
  9. If I'm able to wait a bit, do you have any sales planned in the near future?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Last edited:
2) heavy duty is better. Smooth wall may be 2 ply which is not the best for a trouble free liner.
4) a block off plate is to seal off the damper area not the top of the chimney.
5) Just get the blower

Yes to the above, plus

1) You'll probably be taking the mesh off and putting it on again yearly. 50 cents worth of hardware cloth works fine. Whether it comes with the cap isn't much of a factor.

4) Is the block off plate well sealed and insulated? Do you use fiberglass, which melts at 600°? What are you thinking there? (This is a common practice of the "It'll be fine until the check clears" variety; not a fire hazard but the insulation is R0 after a year's burning.)

6) Who brings the unit inside?

10) Is the liner insulated?

You 100% want the fan for an insert. When you say "my dealers have generally said they don't distribute heat beyond a few paces from the stove", do you mean that they say the stove won't distribute heat beyond a few paces from the stove without the fan (true)? Or that the fans won't distribute heat beyond a few paces from the stove (false!)?

These stoves (and prob all inserts?) are intended to move heat via convection. Convection, by definition, involves airflow. Without a fan, all you would get is heat transfer via radiation. These stoves radiate some heat, but are not intended to heat up a space solely through radiation.

It is true that you can run the stove on its lowest setting, and 1. you won't be able to hear it and 2. you won't feel any sort of breeze coming off the stove, unless you're right up next to it. However, it is moving a significant amount of heat in that mode of operation. It's just gentle enough that you can't detect it.

I run my Boston 1700 on it's lowest setting 95% of the time, and heat a 2500 sqft house. If the fan was off, my guess is that I'd struggle to heat the 800 sqft room the stove is in.

I didn't know they made wood inserts without fans.

You need a fan for a insert. Period.

A lot of good suggestions here.....just to add my 2 cents.....look now...buy later!
Wait until june or july to buy....stove businesses are pretty slow except for some cleanings...I fou d you can wheel n deal with them a good bit. I know we saved about 1500 bucks by waiting.....good luck!

Good choice of stove fan comes with the unit and will be needed to extract the most heat from it.
Most of the time the damper will be removed and the center of the back damper frame will be cut to accomadate the liner passing thru without pinching it.
Pi liner is recommeded and leaving.the outter sleeve and isulation on all the way to the appliance.connector as well.
Blockoff plate is not nec but up to you.
The caps that come with most liner kits will either be a two piece (top plate and a cap) or a topplate with a hingstyle screen cap attatched. Both will normally have screens

Screenshot_2018-06-27-19-27-34.png Screenshot_2018-06-27-19-25-03.png

The above are an example of a hinge top terricotta mount cap and a top plate with a round cap the top plate can also be secured to a clay flue tile and doesnt have to be made into the crown splash

Last edited by a moderator: