Q&A radiant reflection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I intend to heat a large (19'x19'x20') sun room with a gas (propane) stove- but am concerned about the quality of heat considering the room size and height. My assumption is that a radiant heat source will be more comfortable than a convective source for this room. My theory is that by putting my stove in a corner- away from windows- and lining the walls behind it with the appropriate material- I can get more heat reflected into the room. I don't believe I want thermal mass around the stove since a gas stove should be instant on/off. If my assumptions are true- what material should I place around the stove? Is a visible-light mirror the most effective infrared reflector? Would I be better off with some type of gas heater other than a gas stove made to mimic a wood stove?

Answer:

You are correct in that you don't want the heat to travel backwards. It would only get soaked through the wall- and heat the great outdoors.Most gas heaters- whether stoves or wall hung basic heaters ARE designed to produce a tremendous amount of radiant heat- and also are designed to throw it forward..hence the fact that they have reduced or "0" clearance to the rear walls. If you are just looking for heat- you can get the radiant wall type (no vent or direct vent) which will cost much less than a decorative stove. If you are looking for a fireplace or stove look- these will do the job - but cost a bunch more. Wall Heaters are $300-$700 - Stoves/Fireplaces $900 to $2000

Status
Not open for further replies.