raincap necessary for partial liner installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
hi,
Is raincap/plate needed for partial liner installation? If not, how to prevent rain get into stove?

This might be a stupid question. I think rain-cap probably should be required because the chimney damper is removed.

I have a block off plate on my damper. We received several inches of rain about a month ago and not a drop land in my stove.

The reason i asked the question is that my liner is 3 ft short from the top of the chimney.
So unless i extend it, i can't make the liner meet with the raincap. So it's kind of odd that i install the raincap without a liner attach to it. But now i do think i need the raincap and a block off plate.

One side question, if i install the liner that is 2 or 3 ft away from the raincap, is it still considered as a full liner installation?
I think draft wise, it won't make big difference. The liner is 15 ft long already. The big question is future cleaning. So will there be potential crestor built-up in the chimney because there is still 3 ft of the wall exposed to the smoke.

Thanks and hopfully i made myself clear.

Unless you have a completely airtight blockoff you are going to lose alot of heat, and even with it you'll lose some. You will be putting a lot of creosote at the top of the chimney, too.
Best to have it lined to the top, sealed off airtight w/ rain cap/critter cage/spark arrestor. You could leave as is, but I would extend w/ a section of rigid if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.