RAIS Vival L propane... Does anyone know the overheating temperature for a direct vent stove. Dealer won't say and can't call Denmark to ask.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

needheat99

Oct 14, 2019
california
Does anyone know the overheating temperature for a direct vent stove. Dealer won't say and can't call Denmark to ask.

Temperature over 525 degrees and we get bad smell like burnt metal.

You should be OK at that temperature. In many gas fireplaces the glass can get to 450 degrees.
The smell should lessen after the oils, paints & adhesives used in the manufacture have cured...

Hi burned for 2 days on high while out of house bad paint smell mostly gone except when stove temp reaches 525 degrees then paint smell returns. Been using on low to get some heat but certainly not enough to be comfortable. Cant regulate flame to keep from overfilling, Something to do with DT stove pipe maybe? Would be great to have it run at 450 degrees and not smell. No help from shop who sold us unit. Spent a ton of money on trying to get the best gas stove money can buy after having terrible experience with jotul gas that was even worse. Tried both flu restrictors that came with stove. I suspect the stove pipe.what do you think?
From top of stove 3 feet vertical to 90 elbow to 2 feet horizontal to 2nd 90 elbow to 14 feet vertical which is first part(4 feet) thru attic space then remained pipe to outside. Rais diagram in manual says 2 elbows are ok. Its dura vent DT it has aluminum inner liner.. Think we might try BDM pipe which is stainless with powder coated paint. Oh and suspect the Dura vent pipe is causing smell from paint as like a wood stove you can get the pipe temp high enough to cure. But not our pipe because the pipe temp outside only ever reaches 200 degrees. I talked to dura vent they said to put it in my oven and cure it. jeez really...