Hearthstone Clydesdale - Measuring Stove Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cabinetman
On the top of the Clydesdale there is a center draft bolt/ Allen screw that doubles as the warming racks rear leveling leg and draft measuring port, I attached a bolt on style thermocouple with double nuts to hold it tight against the top of the stove ( this is also where the manual says to measure the stove temp ) I put some roxul insulation on top of that, under the warming rack to keep stray heat or the blower from having any effect on the temp readings. this setup has worked very well so far
Can you post a picture? I never understood what the draft sample port is......I am waiting for my stove to arrive and have ordered the pip and k thermocoupler, based on some previous posts. Is that port an actual hole into the firebox?

@Cabinetman these are the some pics of how I have it set up, I forgot I set it forward and secured it down with some angle iron bolted to the allen bolt. I have the pid's wired in to the main power plug for the stove with a flasher/buzzer on the alarm section of the pid and an on/off switch for the alarm. the middle pid is the internal flue temperatures at the base of the flue behind the stove and the the lower one, I was going to install another thermocouple at the top of the chimney, but didn't get around to it.

20161101_185443.jpg 20161101_185459.jpg 20161101_185506.jpg 20161101_185549.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cabinetman these are the some pics of how I have it set up, I forgot I set it forward and secured it down with some angle iron bolted to the allen bolt. I have the pid's wired in to the main power plug for the stove with a flasher/buzzer on the alarm section of the pid and an on/off switch for the alarm. the middle pid is the internal flue temperatures at the base of the flue behind the stove and the the lower one, I was going to install another thermocouple at the top of the chimney, but didn't get around to it.

View attachment 187083 View attachment 187084 View attachment 187085 View attachment 187086
Thanks! You've got that set up nicely

Thank you, with a lot of help from all the members on here. there is a ton of knowledge and experience and a great sense of willingness to share it.
Good luck with your new stove, keep us posted once it is installed. make sure your installer installs a block off plate to prevent the heat from escaping up your chimney and if at all possible have them insulate behind the stove, his made a huge difference with my operation. you can pick up a package of roxul insulation at home depot or Lowe's to have available for them, and if your chimney s on an outside wall make sure it is an insulated liner to help keep the chimney warm and creosote to a minimal. happy burning

Thanks so much for all your help! Got all hooked up last weekend, liner was quite a job, had to cut out the damper collar in my fire box,...still was tough attaching the stove collar from inside, hard to push it up for the nuts to tighten it down...... did my break in fire, and have been toasty since! Carpet reflecting in the glass door, makes it look like a carpeted interior..........need to try some roxul around my thermocoupler, when the fan runs, its sensitive enough to drop quite a bit. Thought maybe the nut I put on my draft screw was propping up the top grate and restricting air flow from the fans, but when I remove the grate while the fans are running, it does not seem any different. Thanks again, this website is a great resource. Touching up a small nick in the porcelain where I chipped the finish a little removing the door..........working well. Had to also put a couple rubber corks between the bottom shield (below the fan speed wheel), and my brick mantle, that shield caused an annoying hum, rubber stoppers did the trick. Going to next try the damp ash trick to clean the glass. Waiting on my base cap set, my wife changed her mind when I showed her the nice brown color, and I changed my order, but the base caps showed up in the cast iron black finish........can't wait to get those!
woodstove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, looks beautiful, I liked the porcelain but my wife wanted the matte black finish"because that's what's stoves are supposed to look like - ha"
The roxul will make a huge difference in the thermocouples readings making it more accurate and if you didn't put any around the back of the stove I'd stuff some behind it and up around the chimney liner where it goes through the damper area, this will keep the heat in the house instead of of goin out around the chimney. Happy burning

Yes, my old insert was heavily insulated, I pulled the old stuff out, and redid it with Roxyl, sides, back top and up the chimney. Was nervous about it, until I read about it on this forum and used roxyl, my old insulation (someone else had done) was fiberglass, and not any sign of melting or burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.