Raised Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjj

Dec 15, 2016
Ohio
Hello all:

I am preparing to install a new WoodPro WS-TS-2000 in my home and I am looking for some thought and advice from the more knowledgeable folks in regards to my hearth and heat shield.

In addition to the stove, I think the only other important pieces of information are:

1) I have 9 foot ceilings
2) The room where it will be installed has a slab floor (I do understand I can install directly on the slab, but I do want to raise the hearth between 12 and 14" off the ground).

I have done some research and this is what I am planning to do:

1) Build a 2x6 wood frame and 14.5" on center (Hearth to be 66" x 58")
2) Screw the frame into the wall studs
3) Cover the frame with 2 sheets of 1/2 cement board
4) Cover the cement board with 16x8x4 solid concrete blocks

As for the heat shield, I am planning on the following:

1) Using metal furring channel to create the 1" space between the current wall.
2) Screw cement board into the furring channel
3) Screw fiber cement board (the kind used for housing siding) to the cement board
4) Trim it out with fiber cement board trim
5) Paint it with high temperature paint

My specific questions are as follows:

1) Does the frame as outlined seem adequate to support the stove and block?
2) Does the frame as outlined seem adequate to create the necessary R and K value (R1.19 K0.84)
3) Instead of using 2x6's, could I essentially make the same frame out of cinder blocks (The type used for basements)
4) Is the fiber cement board safe to use as described?
5) Are there any known issues with using high temperature paint in such a setting?

Any other comment or answers to any all portions of my design are appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Three layers of 1/2" Durock NexGen cement board will achieve the required R value. How you build up the height is up to you as long as it's well supported. Regular 8x8x16 cinder block is fine.

The clearances can not be reduced according to the manual. The stove needs 12" to the rear and 18" to the side. No wall heat shield is required when the distance meets or exceeds those clearances.

Clearances listed and shown MUST be adhered to
for safe operation of this appliance.CLEARANCES
MAY NOT BE REDUCED BY ANY MEANS IN USA
OR CANADA.

Last edited:
Thank you. Would the 4" blocks I mentioned on top of the cement board not give me more than adequate r value. The charts I saw said a 1 inch block has an r value of 1?

Thanks for the note on the heat shield, I guess I was just assuming I needed one with the those clearances. Looked at the manual again without the assumption and I see my error.

Three layers of 1/2" Durock NexGen cement board will achieve the required R value. How you build up the height is up to you as long as it's well supported. Regular 8x8x16 cinder block is fine.

The clearances can not be reduced according to the manual. The stove needs 12" to the rear and 18" to the side. No wall heat shield is required when the distance meets or exceeds those clearances.

Clearances listed and shown MUST be adhered to
for safe operation of this appliance.CLEARANCES
MAY NOT BE REDUCED BY ANY MEANS IN USA
OR CANADA.

1" of Durock NexGen cement board has an R value of .78. Cement has an R value of .095 per inch so 4" would have an R value of .38. for a total of R=1.16. That gets you pretty close to your desired R value of 1.19.

Hello all:

I am preparing to install a new WoodPro WS-TS-2000 in my home and I am looking for some thought and advice from the more knowledgeable folks in regards to my hearth and heat shield.

In addition to the stove, I think the only other important pieces of information are:

1) I have 9 foot ceilings
2) The room where it will be installed has a slab floor (I do understand I can install directly on the slab, but I do want to raise the hearth between 12 and 14" off the ground).

I have done some research and this is what I am planning to do:

1) Build a 2x6 wood frame and 14.5" on center (Hearth to be 66" x 58")
2) Screw the frame into the wall studs
3) Cover the frame with 2 sheets of 1/2 cement board
4) Cover the cement board with 16x8x4 solid concrete blocks

As for the heat shield, I am planning on the following:

1) Using metal furring channel to create the 1" space between the current wall.
2) Screw cement board into the furring channel
3) Screw fiber cement board (the kind used for housing siding) to the cement board
4) Trim it out with fiber cement board trim
5) Paint it with high temperature paint

My specific questions are as follows:

1) Does the frame as outlined seem adequate to support the stove and block?
2) Does the frame as outlined seem adequate to create the necessary R and K value (R1.19 K0.84)
3) Instead of using 2x6's, could I essentially make the same frame out of cinder blocks (The type used for basements)
4) Is the fiber cement board safe to use as described?
5) Are there any known issues with using high temperature paint in such a setting?

Any other comment or answers to any all portions of my design are appreciated.

Thank you,

John

IMO you're over thinking it. Just build your frame to the height necessary, less 2", then add 4 1/2" Durock NextGen concrete boards, like I did:

IMG_20141003_150500802_HDRLarge_zpsb0cb223a.jpg

IMG_20141003_150839475_HDRLarge_zpsa0c18a22.jpg

IMG_20141008_091906846_HDRLarge_zps28938c74.jpg

IMG_20141123_170840804Large_zps0373a242.jpg

Good luck.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Thanks for the replies. I have the frame built on a slap, then there was a layer of tar paper.

1) Would/Should/Can I insulate the frame? Frame is 2x10 if it matters. I am thinking I am not going to insulate unless I get advice to the contrary.
2) Going to put a piece of plywood down first on the frame, then 3 layers of the durock Thinset to plywood, between layers and all joints or just thinset joints and on the top layer before the stone/tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.