Raised ranch stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Looking at raised ranch to buy. Ideally a woodstove would be situated in living room area near front window. On raised ranches the front window area sticks out over the rest of house about 2 feet or so. To put a stove in that area, would the weight be to much structurally for that floor? I’m guessing it’s fine but wanted to ask beforehand.

By the time you meet your clearance to combustibles, the stove will most likely be sitting over the wall below it. If not, it shouldn’t be a problem the floors are usually framed with 2x8. Why not put it in the basement “family room” of a typical RR and let the heat radiate up the staircase? My in-laws have theirs down there (not far from you) it takes care of the basement and main floor no problem.

You might want some curtains or something up on that window and maybe that would not be good unless they are fire repellent or something or metal blinds or something--just saying--clancey

I think your bigger issue will be chimney height if you try to put a wood stove in that location. Do you really want an 18' chimney sticking up off the front side of your living room? It will need numerous unslightly supports too. I live in a raised ranch. My stove is in the basement. Even then, my chimney clears the highest part of my roof by about 3'. Just something to consider before you choose that location. If you want a stove on the main level, you're better off with a direct vent pellet stove. (no chimney)

I think your bigger issue will be chimney height if you try to put a wood stove in that location. Do you really want an 18' chimney sticking up off the front side of your living room? It will need numerous unslightly supports too. I live in a raised ranch. My stove is in the basement. Even then, my chimney clears the highest part of my roof by about 3'. Just something to consider before you choose that location. If you want a stove on the main level, you're better off with a direct vent pellet stove. (no chimney)
You don't need 18' of chimney. Most stoves need about 15' from either the stove floor or stove top. So absolutely not 18' above the roof.

Thanks guys. Not going with that house but good stuff to think about if we end up with similar style house.

You don't need 18' of chimney. Most stoves need about 15' from either the stove floor or stove top. So absolutely not 18' above the roof.
My Hearthstone Heritage needs 18' for adequate draft. If you're in a basement, that involves a 90 to the wall and then another 90 up the flue, so extra chimney height is needed to offset those two angles.

My Hearthstone Heritage needs 18' for adequate draft. If you're in a basement, that involves a 90 to the wall and then another 90 up the flue, so extra chimney height is needed to offset those two angles.
Yes that is true. But the stove only needs 15' your setup dictated more because of restrictions. And regardless that doesn't mean 18' of chimney above the roof