Raising thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomcon95

Nov 7, 2018
20181107_204235.jpg Screenshot_20181105-225054.png 20181105_215459.jpg 20181105_215408.jpg
I just bought this house a few months back and the previous owner took the wood stove with him. I decided i want to heat the house with just wood from here on out so i bought a ht2000 which brings me to a "little" issue my thimble is lower than my stove and need to raise it. The chimney was put in after the house was built and is just a pipe in a plywood box. Im guessing a triple insulated pipe with a T at the bottom. I would like to raise the thimble 1', maybe 1.5'. How can i go about this withlut spending thousands?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you may need to raise it more than a 1.5 feet. Maybe someone knows the exact specs but 2.5-3 feet is usually needed from the stove to the wall thimble/chimney. Your wall thimble and stove look to be nearly equal in height. What type of stove did the previous owner have?

Honestly im not sure. We bought the house from brokers who bought it at auction from foreclosure so we never met the owners and they sold a good amount of things. I have no problem raising it that much.

I agree i would raise it a few feet. Raisi g it could be done by climbing down in from the top. But it will probably be easier to open up the chase to get access

Looks like you are already in the chase in order to take pictures. How long are the chimney lengths in the chase? Can you just remove a length and accept that as the height of the thimble? That would be the least expensive route.

Im not too sure to be honest. Ive been too vusy the last few night to mess with it. I got the pictures from the small hole above the t connection. If i had to guess the bottom pipe goe to almost the ceiling. Maybe just a little lower. If i raised it that tall then would i have to add something to the ceiling to help block the heat?

bholler's right, you'll need to get into the chase to make changes. Then you should be able to raise the chimney up 2-3 ft., then rebrace, and lower the storm collar back down to the top of the flashing.