random wedding tree to appease my wife

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capetownkg

Oct 31, 2012
Southern Maryland
Hey guys at a wedding wanted to know what tree over grew this pergola. My wife is curious and a few drinks deep. As am I unilateral leaves and intertwining base. Thanks for input apparently I will have to plant this in my yard

Looks like ghost wood to me?

Reactions: ScotO
You may be correct! Should avoid weddings ;+o

It has been my experience that sometimes weddings are a bad idea. Don't pick a tree based on seeing it smothering a pergola, there is always something being smothered at a wedding.

Sorry here is the pic

Attachments

• 20130608_205053.jpg
    20130608_205053.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 168
Haha hey we had a good time. This dang disease is taking over

That looks like a Wisteria trained into tree form. Takes a lot of pruning to keep them in check. 2-3 times a year.

looks like wisteria

X3 on Wisteria. I had one growing up a fence and pergola at my house. It had to be pruned once a week to keep it from attacking the shingles on the garage roof. Cut it back last fall and going to try to retrain it.

Looks like a giant shrimp under water.

Yes, wisteria. I planted one when my daughter was 4...she's39 now, and it first bloomed about three years ago. Now it's growing like a weed. Neighbor "did me a favor" and cut it to the ground last Autumn. It's bigger now than it was before he cut it/

I agree on Wisteria. It is not a tree, but a woody vine that can sort of stand on its own after it gets big, as long as it has something to climb while it is small and flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.