Rangeley ash grate cracked again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

waltdog

Dec 20, 2011
North Idaho
In my previous house I had a Jotul Rangeley installed. After heating for 2 seasons the cast ash grate cracked. It was warrantied by Jotul and I sold the home. Our new house I went ahead and got another Rangeley. After 1 season the ash grate has cracked causing me much frustration.

I do not use the ash pan door to help get a fire going and I always scoop the ash pan bay out when emptying the ash pan. This stove was broken in properly and I have never over fired it. I plan on talking to my dealer but would like to hear some opinions on what is causing this to happen, A search on the forum showed at least one other owner having the same issue.

Any other Rangeley owners care to chime in?

Hi 'Dog,

I had one crack two winters ago. I had assumed that it was my fault. The "splitter trash" that inevitably arrives with my delivered wood gets raked up and tossed in a heap in my barn. On warmish, shoulder season days I fill some 5 gal buckets with the stuff and burn it up. BTUs are BTUs, right? Well, a few small rocks made their way into. The mix. When I discovered that the grate cracked, I reasoned that a rock wedged in there and wouldn't let the grate expand next time it got hot.

The guy at my stove shop said he hadn't heard of any other cracked rangeley grates. (I didn't confess my sin) No problems with the new grate afik. I did try harder to avoid burning rocks though.

Update, I received a new ash grate under warranty. I still suspect my ash pan door is leaking just need to get some incense to test for leaks .

This is my second Rangeley and while I do believe it is a great stove I almost wish we would have gotten a PE T6 instead.

Don't empty all the ash. Just knock enough down the grate to make some room in the box, and leave an inch or two on top of the grate to insulate it from heat.

Sounds like weak draft Wood burner 7. Can you describe the entire flue system from stove to chimney cap including each turn or bend? How tall is the chimney?

This also could be mild temperatures. As is gets colder draft will get stronger. In the meantime open the stove door slowly.

There's gonna be a big difference between 40 and 60 I would think. But with 22' I wouldn't expect a lot of trouble. I started a fire in the Buck a few days ago, 22' stack, 8" liner, about 58* out, but I had to burn some newspaper in the box first to warm the liner enough so that it would draw. If you are reloading though, something doesn't seem right. Did you try cracking a window near the stove before opening the door?

Last edited:
Yes, performance at 40º should be notably better than at 60º. It is possible that there is negative pressure in the house. This could be in a basement install or if there is a substantial outflow of air on the upper floor due to an open window, leaky attic door or vent. Or the issue could be a tight house with an exhaust fan going (kitchen, bath or clothes dryer).

In my previous house I had a Jotul Rangeley installed. After heating for 2 seasons the cast ash grate cracked. It was warrantied by Jotul and I sold the home. Our new house I went ahead and got another Rangeley. After 1 season the ash grate has cracked causing me much frustration.

I do not use the ash pan door to help get a fire going and I always scoop the ash pan bay out when emptying the ash pan. This stove was broken in properly and I have never over fired it. I plan on talking to my dealer but would like to hear some opinions on what is causing this to happen, A search on the forum showed at least one other owner having the same issue.

I just found this thread again...after discovering my second cracked grill in my Rangeley. Same spot as before. I am really puzzled. First crack happened three years ago...and now today. I do not burn really hot fires and do not understand why this is happening. It appears Im not the only one. I just emptied a very full ash pan yesterday...door is closed.

Not sure what to say. Does that area glow intensely when down to a bed of coals? Does the fire burn hotter there? If so then I'd look for air leakage, maybe around the ash pan door? If not then perhaps it's a design or casting problem?

Not sure what to say. Does that area glow intensely when down to a bed of coals? Does the fire burn hotter there? If so then I'd look for air leakage, maybe around the ash pan door? If not then perhaps it's a design or casting problem?
I haven't noticed that area glowing. My ash pan was packed full, and I decided to empty it yesterday. I didn't have fire last yesterday because it was warm out and I just noticed the crack/warp today. I'll check the ash pan door, but I don't think it's leaky. Do you think it's OK to have a fire? There's a larger gap in the grate...

It might ok to burn unless the gap in the grate is so large now that any coals in that area easily drop down into the ash pan. A square of stainless steel could possibly be used to cover the grate temporarily.

Can you post a picture of the grate?

It might ok to burn unless the gap in the grate is so large now that any coals in that area easily drop down into the ash pan. A square of stainless steel could possibly be used to cover the grate temporarily.

The photo isn't very good - I can clear off the ash & get a better one if you need it. Im thinking that if the ash pan has a good amount of ash in it, I should be OK. It was really full as was burn area, so it's possible that crack has been there. My stove store is closed til Tuesday...

The photo isn't very good. If you need a better one, I'll clear off the ash & get more light on it. The cracked piece is on the right - midway down. I think that if I fill the ash pan (after emptying it yesterday) that will provide insulation. It's possible the crack has been there for while. Ive been really lazy about cleaning out the ashes...
IMG_20170226_173046.jpg

Maybe fill up the pan with ash and then cover the grate with ash and scoop out the ash for the rest of the season.

It's hard to see where the crack is. Since other have the same issue it must be a design issue that will happen again. I have some experience with heating cast iron. To allow for expansion, you heat the outside first and then move in toward the center. Not that you have much control of that. Assuming there is no structural issue, I would leave it as is. That area that is expanding quicker than other areas now has room to move.

Maybe fill up the pan with ash and then cover the grate with ash and scoop out the ash for the rest of the season.
Thanks for your input. I think I will do just that at least until I get a new grate. Im just puzzled and irked (mostly) that this is the 2nd time the grate cracked. I burn 400-450 deg mostly. One fire this winter went a little over 600 deg. I don't understand why this happened. Maybe Jotul knows...?

If the crack is at some sharp corner, then it's likely a design issue - not much you can do. If it's at some sort of casting flash or thin section, you might be able to grind/smooth it for a little better performance. If it's just in a 'general' area with nothing to specifically 'focus' the crack there, you might actually try burning a hot fire early on to relieve stress in the part. If you can get it up to glowing red heat... 1000-1100ºF, then cool as slow as possible, that would relieve the stress of manufacturing.

The Rangely comes with a grill (that I don't use)..do you think it would be OK to put that over the gap area?
I don't think that's necessary. Keep the grill in good shape in case one day you want to use it or if you end up selling the stove.

Just wondered if any you rangeley owners have any smoke spillage reloading I just installed one and have smoke spillage every time I reload
Yes smoke spillage.

The photo isn't very good - I can clear off the ash & get a better one if you need it. Im thinking that if the ash pan has a good amount of ash in it, I should be OK. It was really full as was burn area, so it's possible that crack has been there. My stove store is closed til Tuesday...

The photo isn't very good. If you need a better one, I'll clear off the ash & get more light on it. The cracked piece is on the right - midway down. I think that if I fill the ash pan (after emptying it yesterday) that will provide insulation. It's possible the crack has been there for while. Ive been really lazy about cleaning out the ashes...
View attachment 195328
What is the hottest you got your stove and what is your average stt temp? Did you have to bring the old grate to dealer or just send photo's?

Four year old thread.
Yes smoke spillage.
Negative pressure in a basement stove installation is not a stove design issue.