Rate my creosote please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

serfmunke

Jan 31, 2017
Media, PA
Hi all, been lurking, reading, and finally need to ask you to rate my creosote. The white powder is the Anti Creo Soot powder. I scraped all I could, what a hard job! We cleaned our pipe and it is great but this smoke shelf area is of concern to me. We need to chip away this area and get a liner in. I think we also need to parge this brick with all the holes and gaps. Let me know what y'all think. Husband wants the stove back in and fire her up again. I am skeptical of the safety.
20170131_100641[1].jpg 20170131_100659.jpg 20170131_100752.jpg

How large is your chimney flue opening? What is the diameter of the exhaust off the stove? Were you planing on insulating the liner?

How large is your chimney flue opening? What is the diameter of the exhaust off the stove? Were you planing on insulating the liner?
Chimney is 10" while the exhaust of the stove is rectangular so we are looking for an adapter. We are planning on getting a chimney liner in hopes that will make keeping this system efficient AND safe/clean. But before we get that we have to chip away the smoke shelf. At least that is what we think and plan on doing.

Last edited:
There are Rectangle to Round Adapters available, your stove probably will need a 6" - 8" round liner. What size is the rectangle opening?

Yeah you will need an 8" liner for that opening. That creosote doesn't look bad I don't think you will get it any cleaner without some professional chemicals. I think you should be fine. And there is no need to parge the smoke chamber if you are running a liner through it. Make sure you insulate the liner though.

Yeah you will need an 8" liner for that opening. That creosote doesn't look bad I don't think you will get it any cleaner without some professional chemicals. I think you should be fine. And there is no need to parge the smoke chamber if you are running a liner through it. Make sure you insulate the liner though.
Thank you.

One question about the liner that I could research and answer myself I suppose. My husband, who knows it all ;-), thinks an insulated liner is unnecessary. He thinks the liners get hot enough and don't need the insulation. Is the insulation for optimal performance? I will research insulated vs non insulated liners and see what I learn.

Is the insulation for optimal performance?
yes and for safety. I see that there is metal above that masonry smoke chamber. Is the chimney structure masonry the whole way up on the outside or is it metal?

My husband, who knows it all ;-), thinks an insulated liner is unnecessary.
Does your chimney have the required clearance to combustibles? If not then yes you absolutely need an insulated liner without question.

There are a number of sites that carry adapters like this that could work for your installation, here is one of them.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rectangle-to-round-insert-adapter-boot.php
Usually the problem is that there is never enough room on the top and making the connection can be difficult. Your stove is probably one, manufactured before liners were around. The adapter is about 22 pounds and does stand up about 5".

There are a number of sites that carry adapters like this that could work for your installation, here is one of them.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rectangle-to-round-insert-adapter-boot.php
Usually the problem is that there is never enough room on the top and making the connection can be difficult. Your stove is probably one, manufactured before liners were around. The adapter is about 22 pounds and does stand up about 5".
Yes, our stove is a bit older and getting the adapter connected to the liner is mind boggling. I will say though, the husband is really good at solving those kinds of issues. He is like MacGyver ;-)

We are 7-8' above the peak of our A frame roof.
Ok but is there space between the outside of that masonry chimney struture and any combustible material? If the chimney is inside the house you need 2" of space and if it is exterior you need 1". Here is a copy of the applicable code.

http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html

If you dont have this clearance in the event of a chimney fire enough heat can be conducted through the masonry to the adjacent combustibles for them to ignite. Proper insulation eliminates that risk. Plus it makes the system work much better.

Yes, our stove is a bit older and getting the adapter connected to the liner is mind boggling. I will say though, the husband is really good at solving those kinds of issues. He is like MacGyver ;-)
You should also look at the increased cost of the 8" liner and seriously consider if it is time to switch to a modern stove. Not saying you have to by any means but it is time to think about it.

What if we open the exterior of the chimney, around smoke shelf level, this way we can reach in and make the adapter to liner connection?

What if we open the exterior of the chimney, around smoke shelf level, this way we can reach in and make the adapter to liner connection?
Yes that can be done.

Reactions: serfmunke
Ok but is there space between the outside of that masonry chimney struture and any combustible material? If the chimney is inside the house you need 2" of space and if it is exterior you need 1". Here is a copy of the applicable code.

http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html

If you dont have this clearance in the event of a chimney fire enough heat can be conducted through the masonry to the adjacent combustibles for them to ignite. Proper insulation eliminates that risk. Plus it makes the system work much better.
Ah, I see. I will head over to that link and read up. The house is from the early 30's but the living room, where the fireplace is, may be an addition but we do not know the year it was done. I really appreciate all the help guys!

You should also look at the increased cost of the 8" liner and seriously consider if it is time to switch to a modern stove. Not saying you have to by any means but it is time to think about it.
What do the new stoves provide that is better than the old. We love the older look, our home is old. We don't want to look at a modern looking stove. Do they make newer ones that still have that old wood cabin vibe?

Ah, I see. I will head over to that link and read up. The house is from the early 30's but the living room, where the fireplace is, may be an addition but we do not know the year it was done. I really appreciate all the help guys!
We see brand new stuff that does not have the required clearance. The sad part is that even inspectors miss it allot of the time.

What do the new stoves provide that is better than the old. We love the older look, our home is old. We don't want to look at a modern looking stove. Do they make newer ones that still have that old wood cabin vibe?
They are more efficent meaning you get more heat out of each peice of wood you put in the stove. They also offer glass doors that actually stay clean so you can see the fire and when run correctly with dry wood they put much less dirt in the chimney which reduces the risk of a chimney fire. And there are all kinds of looks available from ultra modern to very classic. But again if you like your stove and it works well for you go ahead and keep it just make sure it is installed correctly.

Husband wants the stove back in and fire her up again.

I didn't catch, what kind of stove do you currently have?

We are planning on getting a chimney liner

I don't think it was mentioned specifically but the vast majority of new stoves use a 6" liner. This is why it was suggested to at least consider what you may want to do in the future since if you ever upgrade the new unit will most likely use 6".

What do the new stoves provide that is better than the old.

Aside from what has been mentioned the newer stoves put out much less pollution than older (pre EPA) stoves.

Reactions: bholler
Aside from what has been mentioned the newer stoves put out much less pollution than older (pre EPA) stoves.
You are absolutly correct I just dont mention that anymore because it avoids arguments with all of the anti EPA folks out there.

You are absolutly correct I just dont mention that anymore because it avoids arguments with all of the anti EPA folks out there.
I've resigned myself to the fact that the EPA and cat's must become part of every thread.

Reactions: bholler