Ravelli External Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crazynights

Mar 14, 2019
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience connecting an external thermostat to a Ravelli pellet stove? I have a Roma insert which is able to accept a thermostat per the manual and I double checked with Ravelli just to be sure.

If so, what type/brand of thermostat? I would like to install a wireless unit if possible.

I have reached out to my dealer who stated just about any thermostat will work and I just reached out to another one who advised that is not the case and wanted to sell me a SkyTech 5301. Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you,
Bryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ordered a SkyTech 3301P from Amazon for around $100 but don't have it hooked up yet. It's really light weight and feels cheap. But it seems to be the popular brand and has the features. It's also what my dealer sells. You can use some regular wall-mounted thermostats (search this forum), but not all. I don't think Ravelli's work with high voltage (24V?) thermostats, but they should work with most microvolt thermostats. You also have to make sure they don't short cycle and have an adjustable swing.

The advantage of the SkyTechs is you can take them (the temperature sensor/remote) with you and easily change where it is mounted on the wall.

I ordered a SkyTech 3301P from Amazon for around $100 but don't have it hooked up yet. It's really light weight and feels cheap. But it seems to be the popular brand and has the features. It's also what my dealer sells. You can use some regular wall-mounted thermostats (search this forum), but not all. I don't think Ravelli's work with high voltage (24V?) thermostats, but they should work with most microvolt thermostats. You also have to make sure they don't short cycle and have an adjustable swing.

The advantage of the SkyTechs is you can take them (the temperature sensor/remote) with you and easily change where it is mounted on the wall.
Be sure to let us know how it works for you. I love my Ravalli but the room temperature sensor is not where I'm sitting so I'm always setting it 2 to 5 degrees lower or than I should have to.

Be sure to let us know how it works for you. I love my Ravalli but the room temperature sensor is not where I'm sitting so I'm always setting it 2 to 5 degrees lower or than I should have to.

Same here. Even the offset I need to use varies widely on the weather because that temp sensor is 6" off the floor on an outside wall. I hope the remote will give me more stable temperatures. I'll probably get around to hooking it up mid October.

Same here. Even the offset I need to use varies widely on the weather because that temp sensor is 6" off the floor on an outside wall. I hope the remote will give me more stable temperatures. I'll probably get around to hooking it up mid October.
Great again let us know how it works. We sit about 10 feet from our RV100c. It would be nice to have a thermostat that works 10 feet from the stove as opposed to where it's located now on the back of the stove.

I'm kind of stupid when it comes to hooking up electronic stuff. My boy is my entire garage into my house Etc but some things just need more explaining for me. So once you get it all set up if you can tell me how to hook it to the Ravalli that would be good

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience connecting an external thermostat to a Ravelli pellet stove? I have a Roma insert which is able to accept a thermostat per the manual and I double checked with Ravelli just to be sure.

If so, what type/brand of thermostat? I would like to install a wireless unit if possible.

I have reached out to my dealer who stated just about any thermostat will work and I just reached out to another one who advised that is not the case and wanted to sell me a SkyTech 5301. Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you,
Bryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hello I was wondering if you ever got this thermostat working and how? We just got a ravelli roma insert installed and want to do the same thing.
Thanks
Vicky

Sorry for the late reply. I installed it. In my case I have the RV100 so I took off a side panel and looked at the PDF manual to figure out where to wire it up. Two wires. I had to buy smaller wire because the wire that came with the thermostat was too thick to fit into the RV100's control board. I'm not sure where the control board is on the Roma or how accessible it is.

TL;DR: It's great, I set it, programmed a 7 day schedule, and forget it. Stove stays on 24/7 in high/low mode regulated by the remote.

When I used the remote with on/off mode it would turn it off, but it wouldn't reliably turn it back on. It works flawlessly with high/low. I set the temp swing to +/- 1 degree. The remote isn't super easy to program a 7-day schedule for, but, strangely, it does feel easier than trying to program the schedule on RV100's panel. It is easier to adjust, too: hold down prog, then you can adjust times or temps for the next wake/leave/return/sleep cycle. Very nice if you want to set the wake up temp to a little earlier when it's cold out.

As a remote and product I'd rate it a 4/10. It's cheaply made and doesn't work with on/off mode (probably Ravelli's fault judging by the quality of their software...). However, it keeps the temperature muuuuuch more steady than the temp probe coming out the bottom of the stove next to an exterior wall. Satisfaction-wise when using the RV100 as a primary heat source in our living room, I'd rate it 9/10.

Sorry for the late reply. I installed it. In my case I have the RV100 so I took off a side panel and looked at the PDF manual to figure out where to wire it up. Two wires. I had to buy smaller wire because the wire that came with the thermostat was too thick to fit into the RV100's control board. I'm not sure where the control board is on the Roma or how accessible it is.

TL;DR: It's great, I set it, programmed a 7 day schedule, and forget it. Stove stays on 24/7 in high/low mode regulated by the remote.

When I used the remote with on/off mode it would turn it off, but it wouldn't reliably turn it back on. It works flawlessly with high/low. I set the temp swing to +/- 1 degree. The remote isn't super easy to program a 7-day schedule for, but, strangely, it does feel easier than trying to program the schedule on RV100's panel. It is easier to adjust, too: hold down prog, then you can adjust times or temps for the next wake/leave/return/sleep cycle. Very nice if you want to set the wake up temp to a little earlier when it's cold out.

As a remote and product I'd rate it a 4/10. It's cheaply made and doesn't work with on/off mode (probably Ravelli's fault judging by the quality of their software...). However, it keeps the temperature muuuuuch more steady than the temp probe coming out the bottom of the stove next to an exterior wall. Satisfaction-wise when using the RV100 as a primary heat source in our living room, I'd rate it 9/10.
Hi. We are having the same issue with the skytech. It turn the roma stove off but does not reliably turn it back on and the issue seems to occur always at night. Did you ever figure out what caused it?