Ravelli Francesca - Error 17 No Flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robinmarq

Nov 19, 2021
Connecticut
In the middle of the night a couple nights ago our (less than 2 years old) Ravelli Francesca pellet stove started beeping and showed the error "17 - No Flow". It was running and once that code popped up it made the flame die out and after that it hasn't worked. It will drop the pellets, ignite, have a large flame, and then the code will pop up again and the flame will die out once it burned through the pellets that dropped.
Does anyone know what is causing this? We have thoroughly cleaned the stove many times and do on an almost daily basis too.

Off the top of my head I would say it looks like the all too familiar defective debimeter (flow meter)issue. There is a current thread(s) on this issue that goes back a few years. It discusses all aspects of this failure of the flow meter which is common to Ravelli stoves. I have replaced 4 of these on my Francesca in four seasons. Not saying this is your issue but it’s my guess off the top.

This means that the intake airflow, as measured by the airflow meter ("debimeter") is too low, compared to the exhaust blower speed. This can occur if:
- There is blockage/restriction somewhere between the cold-air intake pipe, through the firebox/burnpot, and then to the end of the exhaust flue pipe. Make sure you clean the exhaust passages that run behind the back of the firebox. These can only be cleaned through the "Anti-explosion doors" (crappy translation from Italian), which are two rectangular clean-out hatches (flat metal covers held on with 2 screws) that can only be reached if the outer side panels of the stove body are removed.
- The exhaust blower is clogged/restricted.
- There is an intake air leak that bypasses the airflow meter, like a bad door gasket.
- The airflow meter is dirty or defective.
- The initial set-up ("calibration") of the RDS system was not performed correctly. This should have been done after the stove was installed, during the first burn.

Bad airflow meters are a common problem with these RDS stoves, I am currently investigating this, to determine if the airflow meters can be repaired with more durable parts. Stay tuned....but check everything on the above list before assuming your airflow meter has gone bad.

Last edited:
In the middle of the night a couple nights ago our (less than 2 years old) Ravelli Francesca pellet stove started beeping and showed the error "17 - No Flow". It was running and once that code popped up it made the flame die out and after that it hasn't worked. It will drop the pellets, ignite, have a large flame, and then the code will pop up again and the flame will die out once it burned through the pellets that dropped.
Does anyone know what is causing this? We have thoroughly cleaned the stove many times and do on an almost daily basis too.
Just curious if you have outside air connected to your Francesca. The shop in MA where I recently purchased another flow meter said he found once outside air is disconnected and just using room air for combustion, the failure of these components subsides. I will see how long my new one lasts with room air. With your newer stove you should be able to turn off the flow meter in the software and run normally, if you determine the debimeter is the issue. My Francesca is older and apparently has an early software version which does not have the ability to nullify the flow meter. Let us know how you make out.

How do you turn off RDS system so I do not get "No Flow" using the RDS menu? It asks me for a password and not sure how to enter codes.

How do you turn off RDS system so I do not get "No Flow" using the RDS menu? It asks me for a password and not sure how to enter codes.
If memory serves me, 11 is the code entry that allows you to change secured preset values. I believe there is discussion of this topic in previous threads. I have the no flow alarm issue caused by these constantly failing debimeters (Flow meter). Unfortunately my Francesca, despite having the RDS system, is an older 7 button control system and the software has no provision for disabling the flow meter. I have seen the newer model Ravelli Francesca 3 button controls and the software is much easier to navigate. It’s like using windows versus DOS.

Reactions: Capy01
I have the Ravelli RV 80 and after looking up what the wires connected to the board meant (SCAM) which was the fan and looking closely I have
If memory serves me, 11 is the code entry that allows you to change secured preset values. I believe there is discussion of this topic in previous threads. I have the no flow alarm issue caused by these constantly failing debimeters (Flow meter). Unfortunately my Francesca, despite having the RDS system, is an older 7 button control system and the software has no provision for disabling the flow meter. I have seen the newer model Ravelli Francesca 3 button controls and the software is much easier to navigate. It’s like using windows versus DOS.
Thank You. I actually have a Ravelli RV 80C and it keeps asking for a key and you can move arrows to select 1-? and does not do the trick.No sure if I tried 11 but I will. Also, my issue was No Flow, and found the reason why. I have no fan installed. Lol. Guess that would cause a no flow. My son-in-law gave me this stove and every time I turn around I am missing another part. First Ignitor which is now installed and then the fan. Just ordered. Anyone install a fan. Do the bolts go into the fan sides or does it have nuts on the inside? Thanks for any help. Been a long week trying to get this up and running.

I replace the
I installed the new convection fan blower and still get the code 17 No Flow. I am assuming the convection fan blower should start up shortly after ignition but the convection fan blower is not coming on at all. I bench tested the fan and it works. Everything else works until code 17 and then shuts down after a short period. I do get an RDS warning on startup and then disappears but haven't figured out how to get into the RDS system yet. I am also assuming the convection fan blower not coming on is causing the No Flow. The flame is very delayed and weak when it finally starts. I would think if more air is moving it would flame the fire and keep it going. Does the Exhaust blower create the warm air going over the ignitor to light quickly or does the convection fan blower do this? Very confused why the convection fan blower is not coming on. I also had a question about the ignitor. Does that have an open access that allows you to view the red hot ignitor from below it? I have a space about 3 inches by 3 inches below the ignitor tube that is open. Just seems like smoke or air needed for combustion would leak out of that hole in the tube. Just not enough info in the manual. Thanks for any help with these newbie questions

It sounds like you’ve got a project on your hands. I say that because my Francesca became a project about 4 months after purchasing new. My experience is on the Francesca model only. I would guess the basic controls are similar across models. The heat circulation fan does not come on until the flame and feed are well established. If you have a problem with the flow meter you may never reach that stage. The exhaust/combustion fan is the one that starts immediately. I’ve experienced a couple of different error messages related to the flow meter. It seems different models or versions within a model can identify the failure with different messages. My Francesca RDS firmware and display look much different than later models I’ve seen. I say this assuming you have a failure and not obstructed/dirty air passages and pipes. I am into the fourth season with our stove and have replaced the flow meter three times.

It sounds like you’ve got a project on your hands. I say that because my Francesca became a project about 4 months after purchasing new. My experience is on the Francesca model only. I would guess the basic controls are similar across models. The heat circulation fan does not come on until the flame and feed are well established. If you have a problem with the flow meter you may never reach that stage. The exhaust/combustion fan is the one that starts immediately. I’ve experienced a couple of different error messages related to the flow meter. It seems different models or versions within a model can identify the failure with different messages. My Francesca RDS firmware and display look much different than later models I’ve seen. I say this assuming you have a failure and not obstructed/dirty air passages and pipes. I am into the fourth season with our stove and have replaced the flow meter three times.
Thanks. I did get to set the code for the RDS system. Its C2. I just cant get through RDS all the way cause it never lights. Not enough air going through to fan the pellets.I cleaned the flow meter and I need to find out how to set the flow meter off in settings just to see if it will light.. Your code 11 did get me into menu default settings to reset at least to default settings. The funny thing is it lights after the exhaust blower goes into cleaning mode so just maybe if I can get the exhaust blower at a higher speed initially it will light and then turn on the inlet blower/ convection fan. The fan runs at 1480 rpm when just in igniter mode which does not seem to be enough.

Thanks. I did get to set the code for the RDS system. Its C2. I just cant get through RDS all the way cause it never lights. Not enough air going through to fan the pellets.I cleaned the flow meter and I need to find out how to set the flow meter off in settings just to see if it will light.. Your code 11 did get me into menu default settings to reset at least to default settings. The funny thing is it lights after the exhaust blower goes into cleaning mode so just maybe if I can get the exhaust blower at a higher speed initially it will light and then turn on the inlet blower/ convection fan. The fan runs at 1480 rpm when just in igniter mode which does not seem to be enough.
Feel stupid but the stove was given to me and had so many parts missing. The no-flow was the side access panels were missing. Did not notice until I saw smoke swirling inside the compartment. That can't be right. Ugg. So much quieter with the cleanout panels installed. They were buried in a box. My bad but the good news is it is working great and now fine-tuning the RDS system. Just in time for a snowstorm here in NH. I did learn a lot about the Ravelli RV 80C.

Feel stupid but the stove was given to me and had so many parts missing. The no-flow was the side access panels were missing. Did not notice until I saw smoke swirling inside the compartment. That can't be right. Ugg. So much quieter with the cleanout panels installed. They were buried in a box. My bad but the good news is it is working great and now fine-tuning the RDS system. Just in time for a snowstorm here in NH. I did learn a lot about the Ravelli RV 80C.
Now if I could only quiet the ceramic tile rails. They have those adjustment tabs but if you make them tight the panels will scrap the ceramic off everytime you remove them and are very hard to remove. Anyone found a solution other than stick something nonflammable between the rails to keep it from ratling.

I had the 17 NO FLOW code come up during an RDS calibrate, but doesnt other times? Also the heater blower fan sometimes isnt working... I checked power to it and there is .03 volts. when it does work its 113v or more depending on the power setting... Any ideas?

I have kinda like the same problem. Francesca works only after a fail, smoke fan fail, then does final cleaning in which the smoke fan works. After final cleaning i can start the stove (with no smoke fan error) and it works fine. Does it looks like this is a meter problem. Help please

Sounds like the smoke fan might have a problem, like a tight bearing, which causes it to not turn, or turn slowly, before the bearing frees itself up a little.

The smoke fan motor has an RPM sensor that tells the control board how fast the fan is spinning. If the fan spins much slower than what the control board expects, that triggers the smoke fan alarm/warning.